Variable SG

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DasK

Reaction score
Sometimes, a couple of days after I have pitched my yeast, my S.G. actually goes up. I have assumed that this is due to the yeast population increasing the relative density of the must.

But, I thought I would throw it out there and see if other people have encountered this and what their thoughts are.

It could be the CO2 bubbles from fermentation that cling to your hydrometer making it rise higher.

It can also be the result of not thoroughly mixing the juice and water - the fermentation action will tend to mix it.

It could be the CO2 bubbles from fermentation that cling to your hydrometer making it rise higher.

Good point, buddy. That's why I spin my hydrometer when I put it in the wine. It frees it from the bubbles sticking to the side.

I wonder if Dugger has it.

It has happened on my cranberry and I wonder if it a result of the pectic enzymes in that situation and/or poorly mixed sugar.

It happened most recently on my skeeter pee. While I did make a invert sugar solution for it, in the end I added some sugar by hand since I didn't calculate properly for making a 6.5 gallon batch. Perhaps I didn't mix the sugar well enough on this.

I typically spin my hydrometer too to shake any bubbles, so I doubt this is it, unless the bubbles are sticking faster than I can shake them :p

Latest posts

Back