Vanilla Beans

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrandpasFootsteps

Hillbilly-In-Training
Reaction score
I have about 60 dried vanilla beans that I bought online, leftover from a vodka infusion project I finished. Any suggestions on applications for these vanilla beans? Besides ice cream, which I'm already planning to do. Any use in a new wine project?

I added a vanilla bean in my chokecherry and caramel crab apple wines - adds some body and great smell!!

interesting, I would have never thought of adding vanilla to a wine, thanks for the idea

I put vanilla beans in almost everything I make. I am making vanilla mead right now. I put 10 ground up beans in a 6 1/2 gallon batch. It taste like cream soda right now and the SG is at 1.05. I think this is going to be a real good experiment

Mike...how did the vanilla beans work with this mead,after aging?

I put 1 fresh vanilla bean in a 1 gallon raspberry mead I made last year and even after all this time the vanilla is still to predominate.

But I split and scraped the bean also so that may have had something to do with it.

I can't tell how it turned out this time but it has been good in the past. The batch is still in aging. And yes I put vanilla beans in Raspberry mead too. Just be careful not to get carried away. You want a hint of Vanilla not raspberry flavored Vanilla mead

I may try it on a cherry melomel or cherry wine.I'll see how they continue to age. I've got blackberry on deck,but can't see adding beans to that.Do they store well?

I used Vanilla beans and made a mead with Ale yeast. It finished at about 8% and taste like cream soda. I kegged it and carbed it.

I used Vanilla beans and made a mead with Ale yeast. It finished at about 8% and taste like cream soda. I kegged it and carbed it.

Any chance at more info on this batch?
PM me if ya can, sounds awesome.. Dont wanna derail the thread too much :)

It's been 18 months since I opened this thread and just last week I received another batch of vanilla beans. I vacuum sealed them into 7 bags of 30 long beans each. Should keep a long time since they are dried. My previous 4 gallons of vodka were finally consumed and now I'm making more. Should be ready by October. I use 20 beans per gallon to infuse the vodka. For wine, I plan to use only 1-2 beans per 5 gallons.

I use 3 for 6 gallons all the time. More when making Vanilla mead. 6 or 8 depending on my mood.
Dezzil I just used a straight honey mead recipe with 8 beans and a little pineapple use to bring the PH down. Then added one packet of ale yeast to a apple juice starter. Nothing fancy

Dezzil I just used a straight honey mead recipe with 8 beans and a little pineapple use to bring the PH down. Then added one packet of ale yeast to a apple juice starter. Nothing fancy

S'all i was lookin for, my friend!

Thinking im gonna 'Nilla a fraction of my big batch of mead coming up... Pineapple to bring down the pH eh? Must use apple juice for all your starters? Which ale yeast?

There seems to be varied opinions on the number of beans,strength,etc. Evidently,once again it goes back to personal preference. I think I will experiment with smaller batches.Thanks for the input!

S'all i was lookin for, my friend!

Thinking im gonna 'Nilla a fraction of my big batch of mead coming up... Pineapple to bring down the pH eh? Must use apple juice for all your starters? Which ale yeast?
Yes I use apple for all my starters. Pineapple juice is high acid. I use Wyeast American Ale 1056

I put 2 Madagascar Vanilla Beans in my Caramel Apple Spiced holiday wine last year, it was really good. Put them in 2 weeks before bottling as they were pretty strong.

Latest posts

Back