Vacu-Vin device for de-gasing?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete1325

Reaction score
I tried one of those Vacu-Vin devices and a rubber bung (just held them together) to de-gass a few carboys this morning. I pumped it a few times, held the handle in the up postion until the bubbles/foam came to the top, repeated the process several times until it stopped. It seemed to work but I was wondering if it had enough pull/vacuum to de-gas a 6 gallon carboy completely? Thoughts?

I tried one of those Vacu-Vin devices and a rubber bung (just held them together) to de-gass a few carboys this morning. I pumped it a few times, held the handle in the up postion until the bubbles/foam came to the top, repeated the process several times until it stopped. It seemed to work but I was wondering if it had enough pull/vacuum to de-gas a 6 gallon carboy completely? Thoughts?

It is best to stir degas first, then finish off with the VacuVin. Stirring tends to help break loose (release) the CO2. You need to pump it quite a few times to create as big a vacuum as possible. Make sure the wine is near to 75F when degassing, as the CO2 will release better at a little higher temperature.

The sure-fire way to tell if it is truly degassed is a taste test to see if you still get any fizz on the end of your tongue. If you get any fizz, it still needs more degassing.

How strong are you?

I have great luck hooking up the vacu vin to an airlock (just the bottom part of the 3-piece - I cut off a lot of the outer cup), and shaking the carboy (most probably aren't strong enough), or 'rolling' it around its base, without letting wine get to the bung. Rocking/rolling it on its base might be more feasible for most people, just make sure to put it on several layers of towels to make sure it doesn't bang on the floor. Pump to as much vacuum as you can, agitate it, then pump as much as you can without pumping foam into the bung. I usually do this several times during the evening, letting it settle under vacuum between runs. At first, you won't even need to shake it, but by the end, you'll be able to get more gas with vigorous shaking.

It will work, but you will come away with Popeye forearms!

A Foodsaver makes it easier, I have a battery powered one that I used to use before I got a WineGasGetter device. That is the easiest and most "wine friendly" way.

The All-In-One wine pump system looks like the real solution, its going on my Christmas list this year!

Actually part number 14604 is the orange carboy cap.

Steve

I am able to just stick the vacuvine stopper on top of a airlock stopper (the kind that is recessed). Worked fine until I dropped the stopper and it rolled under something that I cannot get to!

That's a really good deal, especially because it has the very necessary overflow canister and the meter. Without the overflow, you can easily pull foam up into the device. You have to be careful that you don't pull more than about 22 on the meter.
Robie,

I just bought one of these brake bleeding kits locally for $34 at Autozone which is only $4 more than HF with its 6.99 shipping.

Why not more than 22? Is that a level of vacuum Carboys are rated for, or is related to when wine looses its CO2 bubbles? I pumped up to 25 on mine and see the bubbles come a bit qucker. At 22 i am getting very few bubles so perhaps I am finally getting close to degassing this wine.

Another post mentioned using using 22 , then going to 16 for an extended period. Any idea of the purpose of that?

Btw, I had previously used the vacuvin. I think by pumping up the vacuvin well past where it started clicking, I was getting a similar amount of vacuum. Though having a gauge on the brake bleeder is nice for consisteny.

Thanks, Pat

Last edited:
derunner said:
Robie,

I just bought one of these brake bleeding kits locally for $34 at Autozone which is only $4 more than HF with its 6.99 shipping.

Why not more than 22? Is that a level of vacuum Carboys are rated for, or is related to when wine looses its CO2 bubbles? I pumped up to 25 on mine and see the bubbles come a bit qucker. At 22 i am getting very few bubles so perhaps I am finally getting close to degassing this wine.

Another post mentioned using using 22 , then going to 16 for an extended period. Any idea of the purpose of that?

Btw, I had previously used the vacuvin and having a gauge is nice, but I think by pumping up the vacuvin well past where it started clicking, I was getting a similar amount of vacuum. Though have a gauge on ghe brake bleeder is nice to nice for consisteny.

Thanks, Pat

Pat,

I have been using the mity-Vac for years and have always pumped up to 25 psi and then let it sit until there are no more "small" bubbles coming up. It will drop psi but I pump it up to 25 again a couple more times. Shaking the Carboy helps as well. I have found the orange bung doesn't hold the pressure as well. I run the mity-Vac directly to a holed bung.

Latest posts

Back