Using vinegar while making sugar blocks. (bee food)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXfanatic

Reaction score
I figured this was the best place to post this question..

I need to make some bee food. It calls for apple cider vinegar. I need to oven dry the sugar blocks before I put it on the hives.

Do I need to worry about turning my still fermenting wine into vinegar while the sugar blocks dehydrate in the oven? I have two open primary's and several airlocked secondaries.

If I need too, I can dry the sugar blocks in the shop. It would just take a lot longer.

Thanks
Steve

I would use distilled white vinegar, it doesnt have anything floating around in it that the bees might have a hard time digesting. If you get distilled white or even pasteurized apple cider it has no living cells in it. It will however fill your kitchen up with vinegar smell which some people might think would get into your primaries and possibly give your wine a vinegary smell. Can you move your primaries to another room while drying your bee candy? Its going to be a little cold to be opening hives up this week isnt it? WVMJ

The reason for using the apple cider vinegar is to let the bees know it is an edible substance, and to encourage their utilization more rapidly. The small amount of vinegar used in bee blocks would be of no concern to your wine. I make both all the time and have never encountered a problem.

WVMJ

I think I should be safe as the wine making room is on a different level of the house.

Yes it is cold this week...I don't plan on going into the hives until I absolutly need to. I am just getting ready in advanced.

Tenbears

Thanks for the reassurance

Thanks
Steve

Back