Using brew hauler on primary bucket

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArdenS

Reaction score
Has anybody tried using one of the brew haulers (#5168) that George sells on a primary fermenting bucket? I mix up the must in our kitchen then move the bucket to the next room to do its thing. I have nasty visions of the handle coming off the bucket. So I've been giving the bucket a nice big hug to carry it -- don't worry, I snap the lid on before giving it a bear hug. So, I was wondering if one of those haulers would work on the bucket?

Thanks in advance.

I use one on my carboys. Assuming a 7.9 gal bucket...
The hauler is fully adjustable in width, so it should snug right down on your bucket..
The fermentor might be a little taller, but not so tall as to cause it to be out of balance.

With the brew hauler, you will have to carry the bucket out in front of you, not much different than bear hugging it; just a little lower down your body.
It will help picking it up or setting it down lower, like on the floor.
One nice advantage is when you have someone who can grab one side, while you grab the other and carry in between you.

The hauler might work well for it when you have help, but I would rather use the handle on the pail than bear-hugging the bucket. The handles are made very well and I have never had one come off any of that type bucket in many years experience with them. They are used for the fermenters, drywall compound, pain and a myriad of other heavy products.

I agree with Appleman. I have delt with drywall mud and paintin these buckets for many years and never had a problem. IMO save your money on the primary and use it for carboy safety.

I'm thinking about getting a garden or children's wagon to move my primaries on. Looking at the dimentions of two primaries I'm sure I can fit two on one wagon.
I also Fill up and reconstitute the must in the kitchen and move to the dining room area that i've highjacked as my wine making area.

A bit of caution as someone who has tried using wagons to transport heavy objects- don't do it! The front set of wheels pivots on a center point and if you turn past a certain point with a heavy object- it will tip over. I would hate to do that with a full primary or secondary.

Thanks for that vote of confidence on the buckets. I'll haul it with more confidence. I just didn't want to lose all that nice must because of a faulty handle, aside from the nasty mess.
smiley5.gif

appleman said:
A bit of caution as someone who has tried using wagons to transport heavy objects- don't do it! The front set of wheels pivots on a center point and if you turn past a certain point with a heavy object- it will tip over. I would hate to do that with a full primary or secondary.

I use an old IBM typewriter table to move carboys around. The table has a strong wood top with metal legs and wheels. I bought it a used office furniture store for $15.00. Works great to transport the carboys between rooms.

What I like about it, the table is 26 inches high so I am not bending over like you would if using a wagon when pushing it around. It is very stable when a 6 gallon carboy is being transported around.

Robert

Maybe I will build a wagon like structure with individual castors instead of a pivoting axle.

Latest posts

Back