Using bleach to sanatize

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never use bleach in a winery or near any of your equipment. It directly contributed to cork taint, ie. ruined wine.

K meta loose in bags is cheap, as are Star San, One Step and Easy Clean.

Bleach is really good at only one thing - bleaching. Yes, it can kill many bad critters, but that is not for what it is designed.

Any dish sanitizer could also have bleach in it, so I would not use it.

Are you at a place where you can't buy a real wine equipment sanitizer?

I agree, No Bleach.. You are better off using a food grade sanitizer for your equipment, and most of them are no rinse products..

All chlorine products should be avoided in winemaking/winery.

Ok, good to know, can I use restaurant style dish sanitizer ?

Get a one gallon water jug and put 3 tablespoon of potassium metabusulfite in it. You now have a solution that you can use in a spray bottle to spray on your equipment without rinsing. Potassium metabusulfite creates a solution of sulfites or SO2 that is the same thing most winemakers use to preserve wine.

I also pour just enough to cover the bottom of my carboys and use a solid bung to keep them sanitized when they aren't full. Be careful with the fumes though, they are powerful.

Get a one gallon water jug and put 3 tablespoon of potassium metabusulfite in it. You now have a solution that you can use in a spray bottle to spray on your equipment without rinsing. Potassium metabusulfite creates a solution of sulfites or SO2 that is the same thing most winemakers use to preserve wine.

I also pour just enough to cover the bottom of my carboys and use a solid bung to keep them sanitized when they aren't full. Be careful with the fumes though, they are powerful.
Thank you.

I like Star San. I buy gallon jugs of distilled water and mix it in the jugs. It can be reused this way and last for months.

I do use bleach for a wash down of the room and my equipment too. Not a lot though, 10 parts per million is an adequate kill-zem-all. But I follow that with a rinse and then a k-meta spray down and rinse for anything that touches the wine. All the brewers sanitizers work good but I dont care for B-Brite. It seems peroxide type cleaners will mold if any residual collects anywhere.

Back