Unhappy outcome

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapecrusher

Reaction score
I was going to bottle my Malbec from last year but decided not to after tasting it. It has nice color but no taste!? Is there anyway to save it??

I'm not quite sure what no taste means (fruit, acid, alcohol, etc) but I would consider making another wine with more of the qualities you are looking for and blend them. Just a touch of sugar is also an option, it can lift out fruit flavors.

A couple of questions first...

How old is the wine?
What was it made from (Grapes? Pail Juice? A Kit)?
If from grapes, how long did you let the wine sit on the skins?
What does the PH look like?
MLF?

IMHO, I would not add any sugar unless you first treat the wine with sorbate first. Otherwise, you will probably just kick off a second fermentation and accomplish nothing.

You could try to oak the wine. This might add a bit of flavor. You could also try to add some glycerin. I find that this just improves mouthfeel but does seem (at least to me) to help round the flavor out.

It's Paul juice from Chile. Been in glass carboy for 15 mo. Don't know ph I think the alcohol content is a little high bc I heard that can mute the character of the grapes. Is that right? I already added some sugar from earlier advice

Did the sugar help the taste? I hope you did taste trials with different sugar amounts before you added to the bulk. Also, to reiterate what John said - you need to add sorbate and sulfite if you add any sugar. I had presumed you knew that already and maybe you have done so.

Did this wine go thru MLF, remember no sorbate should ever be added to a wine which has gone thru secondary fermentation with MLF. Did you trial the addition of acid, if it is lacking many feel the wine to be flat, thin, without taste.

You mention ACV may be higj, what is your ACV?

Last edited:
Back