Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, started the Fontana Chardonnay last night. SG 1.100 pH 3.6
Didn't have any oak on hand so will pick some up tonight (hopefully I can get medium toast as they were out last time) and throw it in tonight.
Tomorrow, day 3, will add 1/2 grapefruit zest to primary and leave it until dry.
Will probably/maybe add another 1/2 when clearing.
Yeast is chugging away already this morning.

Last edited:
Sounds like a plan, go easy with the zest and the oak, keep the additives light you can always add more.

Sounds like a plan, go easy with the zest and the oak, keep the additives light you can always add more.

Going to get 1 cup of medium French oak tonight, per your instructions. Also, you mentioned using 1 whole grapefruit zest. I was going to start with 1/2 in the primary and then add more in secondary if need be.

I'm loving my Fontana Chardonnay with Joe's tweaks. I've added a small amt of oak -- 1/8 cup -- in the carboy as it bull ages.

Ron,
Did you add the cup of medium oak in the primary too, as Joe mentioned?

1/2 should add the acidity and bite.Best to do all in the primary, you can add more later.

Last edited:
Yes , you c an add more before you clear taste Don't let the cost of the product fool you ,but you still need patients and time

Last edited:
Ron,
Did you add the cup of medium oak in the primary too, as Joe mentioned?

Yes. Added one cup in primary and since I didn't really taste it, added the 1/8 cup in secondary. Tastes very lightly oaked now (at least to me it does).

Yes. Added one cup in primary and since I didn't really taste it, added the 1/8 cup in secondary. Tastes very lightly oaked now (at least to me it does).

Thanks Ron, that is what I was looking for. I may do the same, depending on taste. I don't like a real oaky/buttery Chardonnay.

Added 4oz. (approx. 1 1/2 c) medium French oak chips and zest from 3/4 of a grapefruit. Wasn't much zest but it does have a zing to it. Fermenting away very nicely still.

Last edited:
Thanks Ron, that is what I was looking for. I may do the same, depending on taste. I don't like a real oaky/buttery Chardonnay.

Oak added in the primary will not give you much "oaky" taste so no need to worry about that. In primary in mainly helps to exctract the natural tannins for color and mouthfeel. It's not until you add oak later after fermentation that it will be giving off an oak taste.

Oak added in the primary will not give you much "oaky" taste so no need to worry about that. In primary in mainly helps to exctract the natural tannins for color and mouthfeel. It's not until you add oak later after fermentation that it will be giving off an oak taste.

:u
I learn something new from you guys Every. Single. Day.

Thanks!

Agreed, at least that has been my experience with the reds I have made. Oak flavor doesn't really come out until placed in secondary and/or aging.

This is my first white kit so kind of winging it.

Agreed, at least that has been my experience with the reds I have made. Oak flavor doesn't really come out until placed in secondary and/or aging.

This is my first white kit so kind of winging it.

This "oak in primary" thing was something I was told rather quickly after joining this forum. It seems like it's one of those things that is pretty much known by anyone who makes wine and does just a little bit more than the bare minimum of research.
I used old school winemaking style my whole life and only found this information out after I actually started reading and joined this site.

To explain with absolutely NO scientific background : Making wine from either fresh juice, grapes, or kits, there are natural tannins within the juice and the grapes. To get all these tannins to extract into the new wine during fermentation is difficult since they bind up with other types of scientific mumbo jumbo during fermentation.
So adding certain types of tannins to the primary allows the binding to occur with the added oak chips, powder , tannin powder , grape skins, whatever. And then with the those tannins doing the dirty work (I've heard them referred to as 'sacrificial tannins I think) this allows more of the natural tannin within the juice and/or grape to make it to the wine and not become bound up.
'After fermentation' oak additions are different and probably much more resembling what you already had in your head; Just letting oak sit in the wine to get some "oakiness" in your mouth.

Obviously the internet could explain this in much more detail and with the proper terminology. But I'm pretty sure that is the long and short of it.

By adding wood in the primary and tannins you started to build structure to the wine's body and texture. In the secondary tannins continue to add structure and mouthfeel depending on the quality of your oak chips or dust ,they can be added at any point in time in the process.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Home brewer here jumping into wine-making. I love this thread (wish it was its own category, though) and, as I've been making my own beer recipes, I don't necessarily want to stick to the instructions in the kit.

I just bought a Sauvignon Blanc kit (Vintner's Reserve) and want to "tweek" it a tad. Here is what I am planning to do (any suggestions would be greatly appreciated)

1. Bring it down to 5.5 gallons instead of 6

2. Use grapefruit zest in primary

The contains EC1118 yeast and calls for fermentation at 72 to 75 degrees, which seems high for a white. Should I use a different yeast?

Has anyone made this kit before? The instructions clearly state to make sure you follow the correct volumes or problems "may not be solvable." Lol. Thanks in advance.

welcome abroad the cheap wine kit tour, here's some room for thought about your sauvignon blanc, is a very delicate wine unto it's self. The only things I would do at that price point of a kit is if I could change the yeast to a vl3,or a Qa23 or icv-d47 and lastly a ba11, look these up and you'll see how they are better designed for your style of wine the abv. level shouldn't effect the inter workings of the yeast that in it's self is a plus ...

1 Box.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11A.jpg

12.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

24.jpg

IMG_20150907_141017460_HDR - Copy.jpg

Joe, should I add oak in pinot Grigio? You said to add just the zest, I'm about to start the kit and got all confused ...
Starting in 5 gallons instead of 6 and adding 1/2 grapefruit zest, please let me know if I should add oak, I thought Pinot Grigio doesn't like oak

Last edited:
I just bottled wine lovers merlot!!! The color looks good but it tastes alcohol in it... I hope it would get better after a few months :(

It should disapate some over time,pino no oak where did I State to add oak?

Latest posts

Back