Truck payload

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DasK

Reaction score
Yeah, I know it seems I come here for answers to everything now....

How do you know if your truck is riding on the bump stops?

I bought half a yard of gravel base for my patio project and had them load it into my truck. Payload capacity is 1600lbs - me - wife - baby - gas. Should leave me somewhere around 1000-1100 lbs capacity.

Weight in at the weigh station was ~2750 lbs and weight out was ~3500 lbs, so my payload was 750 lbs, but when I got in the bed, I didn't feel it really "give". Like maybe it was on the stops? It didn't look excessively low.

Anyway, just a point of curiosity ...

I'm wondering if that weight is right ... Apparently a Tundra weighs a lot more than 2750 ... I'll have to look at my loading ticket again.

A 1/2 yard of regular gravel would be around 1400lbs (about 640Kg), depending on moisture content of course. Maybe that was in Kg's??

Well I think I figured it out. I looked under my truck and it was not riding on the stops. It was about an inch off.

I think the weight is close. They quoted $14.50 per ton or $19 per yard. I paid10.

The stuff I got was limestone base 3/4 inch. Its very sandy with small bits of rock, so it's not all gravel.

Once there is a decent amount of weight on the springs it gets much tougher to move it like you noticed. Less load means more bounce. Its one of the reasons a Cadillac rides so nice!!

I took a better look at my loading ticket.

Weight in 2.74, weight out 3.24, units .75

it dawns on my that a unit would be 1 ton putting half a yard at 1500 lbs. This is a little more reassuring. Now to go buy that 1500 lb pallet of brick... :)

Latest posts

Back