Trellis construction E/W or N/S?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krafty_kraut

Reaction score
I've been doing my reading from "Wine Grape Production Guide for Eastern North America."

I have flat land that is rectangular and I can just as easily go N/S as I can E/W with trellis construction. From the book it says N/S gives better sunlight and it also states in the Powdery Mildew area that E/W for better air circulation.

Would most of you place your trellises N/S or E/W, if there were no terrain issues?

I did mine N/S for the sunlight issue. I am on top of a hill with a good breeze all the time. Neighbor did his E/W so he could look from his house down the rows.

That's what I like about this site. I get input from actual growers! I can read all I want but it's nice to hear it from people that have experience.

I've got my rows oriented 15 degrees west of north. I read somewhere that someone had done some calculations that this was ideal but no research had been done to back up those calculations. Figured I'd try it :b

Back