transporting carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainl

Reaction score
Hey guys. Quick question. We are moving in a week or so. About 15 miles down the road. Any tips for transporting safely. I have one 6 gallon plastic BB and one 5 gallon glass carboy full. Both are aging at 7 months and 2 months. I was thinking of just taking the airlocks out and sanitizing some plastic rap and putting a rubber band around it. I'm worried a solid bung might pop out due to the sloshing and chance of it degassing during bumps and stuff. Any insight? Thanks

Hey guys. Quick question. We are moving in a week or so. About 15 miles down the road. Any tips for transporting safely. I have one 6 gallon plastic BB and one 5 gallon glass carboy full. Both are aging at 7 months and 2 months. I was thinking of just taking the airlocks out and sanitizing some plastic rap and putting a rubber band around it. I'm worried a solid bung might pop out due to the sloshing and chance of it degassing during bumps and stuff. Any insight? Thanks

You can use milk crates to assist in stability, I believe others have said to transport with the airlock.

Cool. I have one milk crate for the glass carboy. But I'm worried about suck back especially in the plastic better bottle. But maybe I shouldn't be.

Yes, the suck-back from your airlock will be an issue in the BB, but not the glass carboy. You will have to remove the airlock on the BB in order to pick it up and move it. Having never transported a full BB, I'm not sure how that part will go. Using a milk crate for the BB sounds like a very good idea if it will fit. If you have only one milk crate, I would simply pad around the glass-boy well since it is stronger.

For sure the milk crate would be the best idea. If it was me though, I would rack to a clean carboy, filter and bottle if I had the time. Finish aging in the bottle.

You have the right idea. No bungs, use sanitize plastic wrap, with carboys placed inside something like the milk crates.

Don't forget to buckle up......the carboy that is:D
I moved a carboy and two fermenter buckets full from Newport Tn to Edmonton Ky 260 miles with no problems.

Latest posts

Back