Totally Bummed on DB batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHISHBONE

Reaction score
So, the wifey and I love the DB (thanks dave). Double the fruit etc. This last 12 gallon batch I decided to add 8" American oak spirals (medium toast) to secondary's. Racked tonight and tasted. Eeeww!! Taste like I'm drinking a 2x4. Seriously considering dumping. Is there anything I can do to fix it? The batch fermented in 5 days, sat on secondary for 10 days. :(

Thanks for the advice, guys

I was sitting here eating a piece of bacon and took a drink and it tasted better, got me thinking. What if I dehydrated some bacon and ground into powder and added to secondary. Bacon Wine!!! Sounds good!! Anyone tried it?

Ah, I did the same thing in my last batch. I attempted to over-oak the DB. One full cup of powdered American oak has been determined as too much. Like you were licking a 4x4. After a week, it was much better. My wife, surprisingly, likes it. And she has always scoffed at oaked red wines. Go figure.

Or you could just drink more. After a few glasses, I find everything improves! :ib

This is just my rule...but I will NEVER dump anything unless it is spoiled (and thankfully that has only happened once with a one gallon experiment). All of the wines I've made have become something different after a year or two (or three); so if I've gone to the trouble of making it, I'm going to bottle it and see what happens. I haven't been disappointed yet. I've enjoyed many a wine that were unpalatable the first year.

Don't add bacon to it - that has fat and proteins in it. You don't want those in the wine, besides it wouldn't taste all that good. Like the others tell you, let it age and it will integrate into the wine. Out in the open, a 2x4 looks like a board. Inside the wall it integrates in and provides structure. Same idea with the wine.

Thanks again for the advice, folks. Funny thing is the wife doesn't think its that bad. Looks like she'll have a 12 gallon batch of DB to herself. Ha!!

We fried up a pound of bacon and put it in a blender with ever clear. A couple drops on your tongue was delicious. We added a couple drops into a founders breakfast stout clone. It started to taste really good, but was really easy to add to much and make it undrinkable from salt.

I want to try it again with a sugar cured bacon.

On the db, could you do another batch and try to mix them to dilute the oak enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Latest posts

Back