Total SO2 and sensory limit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John, how are you applying sulfite during barrel aging? I've been adding a full teaspoon at barrel fill (6 gallon) and thinking that would be fine for six months. Sounds like that's a failed thought.

Best bet is to measure and adjust and top up monthly to maintain proper levels, that is how I handle wines in barrels. What I have found, generally speaking, is that my 6 gallon barrels needed 1/8 tsp per month to maintain levels. The 30 and 60 are in the same vicinity, half of the 1/4 tsp per 6 gallons applied monthly.

One thing that I learned from my first kit is that I added the packet in the kit and then 1/4 tsp at 3 month mark. When I finally purchased and SO2 tester, the SO2 level was 35 at 6 months which was too high for a white wine with a low PH.
So my advise is to calculate the initial potassium metabisulfite level needed for the wine because it is apparent that the kit makers want to insure success for a quick aging timeline.

https://www.rjscraftwinemaking.com/craft-and-cork/sulphites-and-wine/

"there will still be some present in the final product (10ppm), as it is a natural by-product of fermentation If you are adding sulphites via the add pack, as per our instruction sheets then the final product will have between 35-50ppm"

Latest posts

Back