Total acid for moscato

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackspanish777

Reaction score
Getting close to bottling for my WE California Moscato. Only modification I made was to add a 15 oz box of golden raisins. To me now the wine tastes flat so I am wondering about the acid. I broke out my acid kit and it took about 11 ccs of neutralizer to make the wine change color to pink. So that should be around a 1.1% acid right? Shouldn't the acid be higher?

Making wine in South Texas since March 2014

Cibolo Creek Cellars

Follow us on Facebook:
www.facebook.com/sekulafamilyfarms

www.sekulafamilyfarms.com

it is actually 11 grams /liter.

I would try bench trials with sugar syrup. adding sugar will not necessarily sweeten the wine but bring it back into balance. the sugar will bring back the aroma and fruit taste of the wine.

First off, TA for a dry white wine should be somewhere between 7-9 g/L so if your analysis is remotely close to being right then the last thing you need is more acid. Plus this is a kit, other than perhaps a yeast swap you don't need to adjust anything so just relax, and practice the three P's of wine making......

But if the wine tastes flat, wouldn't it need more acid? I have no knowledge of kit wines, so that is why I usually don't answer threads talking about kits. I know people have posted kit tweaks in the wine kit thread--maybe you should peruse it and see if you don't find an answer there.

If the TA is anywhere near 1.1 and it seems flabby then its probably not the wine, its the wine taster IMHO. Perhaps the golden raisins messed things up taste wise so now you either get yourself some decent tools to accurately test pH and TA or you practice the 3 P's and maybe just maybe get a few kits under your belt that you make per directions so you know if it is off then its not something you did/added that changed things. Just my $0.02 here but you should not be tweaking a kit unless you have some first hand experience and success with things made per directions first.

Actually yea...I think it was the taster... My wife didn't care for the flavor originally. I tasted it again yesterday and I think it might be a little acidic. I am going to get a PH tester and test it later this week. But for now I am just going to let it sit.

Latest posts

Back