RJ Spagnols Topic: Grand Cru Malbec - Oak Infusion Bag and Oak Chips

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexPKeaton

Reaction score
Started this kit yesterday - it has two sources of oak - the infusion bag and the oak shavings. Anyone make this before, and should I use both oaks?

Also, the kit included Merlot grape skins - is that normal?

Last edited:
The Grand Cru Malbec doesn't come with skins. However, the Grand Cru International Chilean Malbec does. Here's the description from the RJ Spagnols web site.
With cool temperatures and plenty of sunshine, Chile has ideal growing conditions for this full-bodied wine. Complimented by warm spice notes, Malbec boasts aromas and flavours of ripe blackberry and blackcurrant. The addition of our Merlot Genuwine Winery Dried Grape Skins creates a chewy, deep, rustic red wine with intense cherry flavours and blended oak undertones.

RJS expects you to put both oaks in the primary. The shavings are 'dumped' in and then stirred under (as much as possible). The 'tea' bag is put in hot water and then the water and tea bag is added to the primary. The tea bag will probably float (unless the bag tears), so it's best to turn it over every day or two.

Steve

I cheated, didn't have to Google. I have the RJS forum bookmarked, and the catalogue is just a click away. [BTW, the RJS forum is very quiet and not wothwhile.]

And I sold RJS kits for 6 years, so the oak handling was easy.

Steve

I did a Grand Cru Merlot and it came with the Oak teabag, but not the sawdust. I really liked the flavor from the teabag it was the first time I really tasted Vanilla in Wine. I'm thinking of doing the the Malbec kit you just started, sometime in March. Let me know how you make out with it.

Back