Top off question.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshall

Reaction score
My mead has been fermenting for three days and the froth on top has settled down. At what point do I top the carboy off? And can I use my left over honey and water to do it?

Topping off is not necessary until after ALL alcohol fermentation is completed. If the wine is still fermenting, it is producing CO2. That CO2 can help protect the wine from oxidation.

And can I use my left over honey and water to do it?

This will add more sugar, along with the increase in volume.. But if the yeast havent exhausted themselves to ABV-death yet, then they will if you add more sugar.. Doing this would most likely result in a volcano-science-experiment that you didnt intend on

You'll want to find a like-wine, to add for topping off, or consider downsizing to smaller glass containers to remove the airspace... But that doesnt need to be done right away as robie pointed out, the co2 is still protecting it at this point

This will add more sugar, along with the increase in volume.. But if the yeast havent exhausted themselves to ABV-death yet, then they will if you add more sugar.. Doing this would most likely result in a volcano-science-experiment that you didnt intend on

You'll want to find a like-wine, to add for topping off, or consider downsizing to smaller glass containers to remove the airspace... But that doesnt need to be done right away as robie pointed out, the co2 is still protecting it at this point
So I should wait until fermentation is over, then bottle?

You're still gonna want to get a bunch of the co2 out (degas it) and make sure its nice and clear.. Bottling is a ways away yet, i'd think

All the above points are helpful.......

Yet, if you want to top it up to below the neck of the carboy, then that's fine. You give it a good stir first, which does aerate some, but it will also remove a fair bit of the dissolved CO2/carbonic acid. Then you can top it up safely.

If you've used yeast that is Ok for "sur lie" ageing/battonage, then you may well want to top it up to the neck. So as to make sure that you only need a tiny amount of CO2 in the airspace above the liquid.

You'd end up with a bit more mead, that's all......

All the above points are helpful.......

Yet, if you want to top it up to below the neck of the carboy, then that's fine. You give it a good stir first, which does aerate some, but it will also remove a fair bit of the dissolved CO2/carbonic acid. Then you can top it up safely.

If you've used yeast that is Ok for "sur lie" ageing/battonage, then you may well want to top it up to the neck. So as to make sure that you only need a tiny amount of CO2 in the airspace above the liquid.

You'd end up with a bit more mead, that's all......
Thank you.

Marshal, dont rush to bottle. Mead seems to just keep giving up CO2 forever. Let it.

If you want to raise the level of the mead in the bottle but do not want to top up you can add sanitized glass marbles. I think 3 pounds will increase volume by 1 liter (3.78 cups); or if you catch an argon gas saver on sale, like Private Preserve, you can use that.

If you want to raise the level of the mead in the bottle but do not want to top up you can add sanitized glass marbles. I think 3 pounds will increase volume by 1 liter (3.78 cups); or if you catch an argon gas saver on sale, like Private Preserve, you can use that.
I may prove my inexperience by saying this. My original thought was to increase the alcohol content by adding the leftover honey to the must and giving the yeast more sugar to convert. Does it work this way? If so when should I add the extra honey?

Back