Top excuses... (Ahem) justifications to my spouse that wine making is a good idea.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had talked about making wine for a few years but never did anything about it. Then I bought my wife a starter kit with a bucket, carboy, etc. for an anniversary present. It came in a large box. I wrapped it and gave it to her on our anniversary. I have a bit of a rep for gag gifts so she was highly suspicious when she started opening this giant present. You should have seen the look on her face when she opened the box and pulled out a giant plastic water bottle followed by a plastic bucket. This was followed by a giant spoon, a roll of plastic tubing, a bag of corks and a bunch of other odds and ins until she finally saw the juice kit in the bottom and figured out what it was. Luckily she loved it. That was about 2-1/2 years ago and we've been going great guns ever since. Our humble one kit at a time beginning has grown to over 2 dozen carboys of assorted sizes and 5 primary buckets but ...it's okay.....we can quit anytime we want...honest ...we can.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I have actually said this to my wife..

"Honey, I needed some change for a pack of gum, so I bought a tank".

After exhausting herself on beating me about the head and neck with a dull and rusty butter knife, she calmed down and said "small price to pay for keeping my husband off the streets"...

I'm very fortunate. No convincing is needed. My husband encourages me to pursue whatever creative outlet makes me happy and he will help any way necessary, especially when it comes to lifting full carboys and at bottling time. At least my hobby produces a practical and delicious result. :h

Congrats on the new hobby, it is pretty great. If you get tired of kits you could try other things with minimal equipment upgrades such as mead, or cider ( if you can get the juice freshly squeezed).

Back