Too much tannin ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHISHBONE

Reaction score
So, the wife decided that my first batch of DB was amazing enough to step up production. We decided to buy a 20 gal brute and do a 12 gal batch. So , while she was reading quantities of chems, I was drinking a glass and apparently mis-heard her tell me 12 tsp of tannin. Once I realized it was to late. Am I in trouble here? If so, is there a fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

So, the wife decided that my first batch of DB was amazing enough to step up production. We decided to buy a 20 gal brute and do a 12 gal batch. So , while she was reading quantities of chems, I was drinking a glass and apparently mis-heard her tell me 12 tsp of tannin. Once I realized it was to late. Am I in trouble here? If so, is there a fix.

And it should have been 2 tsp, right?

Well, I think this one will take a long while to age, but should be okay eventually. Sorry, but I do not know how long "eventually" means! For comparison's sake, perhaps you should take a look at Joeswine's threads (title something like "When good wine goes bad") to see how much tannin he has been known to add.

The only way to know is to taste it. Tannin usually doesn't add a lot of flavor, just mouth feel. I've had commercial wines that are super tannic (probably to hide their mediocre finish) but they were still drinkable.

egg whites will also reduce tannins but I agree with Geronimo, taste it.

Paul,
The type of tannin used is most important, a generic tannin sold as "wine Tannin" or Tannic acid" will not have nearly the same effect as "premium" tannins, this has to do with their origin, but that's is a separate topic, the point being, you may be able to add a large amount of generic tannin to your wine as seen in Joes posts, but when using the premium tannins the recommended dosage is in grams per gallon.

Phishbone, I have experimenting a bit with glycerine a few days ago I added about 1/2 teaspoon of glycerin (from my local wine store) to three gallons of port to get better mouthfeel. I did get the desired effect, but it ended up softening the tannins, which is what I didn't want becasue I love tannins.

You could try adding glycerin, perhaps if you are planning to drink your wine sooner; however, I strongly suggest trying out first in a small test glass to see what it does. I found too much glycerin, left a weird aftertaste on one small test sample I did.

@ Sourgrapes...Yes it was generic wine tannin.

@ Cocroach...That's for the advce. I gonna do a taste as mentioned but definitely willing to try the glycerene. I cant believe I did that, Two bottles of Dragon Blood is dangerous :dg

Shane

By the way, if you try out the glycerine, I would NOT follow the directions on the bottle for how much too add. This might be way too much. That weird aftertaste I got from my first experiment was enough to put me right off!!! Also, I believe glycerine is only to be added to finished wine, before bottling.

Good luck!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back