Too much fermentation?!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunlandwines

Junior
Reaction score
So this is my first batch.
Call me dumb, skittish, nervous or what-have-you, I'll cop to it. Here's the recipe:

3.5 liters of fresh-squeezed lemon juice.
water to 6 gallons.
pectin enzyme
yeast nutrient
2 packets of Lalvin K1-V1116 (per recommendation of the guy at the brew shop).
9 lbs sugar

I initially added 7 lbs, but then after the first SG reading, I began to add until I got SG to 1.09.

Here's why I'm dumb: I left it in the primary for 40 days. I took an SG reading Saturday morning and it was somewhere between .097 and .098. I then racked into the secondary and added yeast nutrient. Nothing happened. I can see the CO2 gathering up the sides, but there are no bubbles coming up out of the airlock. Must is currently 75F. It fermented between 68F and 72F the whole time it was in the primary.

I suppose my next move would be to de-gas and just age it for another 30 days to rack again, but I'd like some additional advice or chastisement.

Also, I drank some. It was delicious. Young, alcohol heavy and decidedly murky, but was very dry, had depth of flavor, nice bright citrus tones and good legs for a white wine. I gave some to my friend as well and he agreed (so I'm not delusional).

I've attached a photo. The brown liquor in the airlock is bourbon (I didn't have any vodka - such a rookie).

IMG_0983.jpg

Last edited:
AT SG of .997, you are pretty much done fermenting. Especially after 40 days. Adding the yeast nutrient did nothing for you.

At this point, you want to add 1/4 tsp K-meta, and to let it clear. Time will do it for you (rack every 3 months, adding 1/4 tsp kmeta each time). If you are in a hurry, you can use something like Super Klear. It is suggested that you degass before adding clarifiers (like super Klear). If you are letting time do the work, then time will also degass for you.

If you plan on back sweetening, then you will also need to add K-Sorbate (add one time only).

Thanks, Rich!
I am in no hurry. Can I use campden instead of K-meta? Or is K-meta better for clearing? Plan then changes to rack every 90 days, bottle at 9 months start drinking at 1 year. Sound good or any additions you can think of? I'm not going to back sweeten. I really enjoyed the profile of the wine when I tasted it.

What you have made is skeeter pee. Once the SG reaches 1.000 and below the wine is about done fermenting. This particular style of wine was developed to be an early drinker although it may benefit from a bit of aging it will not need all you plan. The addition of nutrients will not feed years that has run it's course. At this point I would add 6 finely crushed campden tablets and Sparkloid according to its directions. This will clear the wine, rack and either degas manually or let stand until the CO2 dissipates. give it a few months, add Kmet again and sorbate if you back sweeten, and bottle, Drink it as it ages, it is not what one would call a premier wine, but a drinker.

Thanks, Bergmann! Since I used fresh lemon juice, I think I'm going to call it Lemon Country Wine. I've heard varying reports as to what Sparkolloid may do... will it alter the flavor at all? Have you had similar luck with Bentonite? Seems a touch less "chemical". Am I overthinking it?

Thanks, Bergmann! Since I used fresh lemon juice, I think I'm going to call it Lemon Country Wine. I've heard varying reports as to what Sparkolloid may do... will it alter the flavor at all? Have you had similar luck with Bentonite? Seems a touch less "chemical". Am I overthinking it?

Bentonite will also aid in clearing, Sparkloid seems to do a better job Post fermentation. I quite frequently add bentonite pre fermentation to my fruit wines and rack off gross lees at the 1.010 mark. the wine clears by next racking. Apple wine being an exception.
I have never found either to impart any off flavors.

NICE! Congratulations! Now hurry up and start at least two or three new batches. Seriously, YOU ARE going to run out! Dale.

Congratulations on your first batch thru to bottling. Nice job.. My one concern is with your addition of nutrient after the yeast had finished their work. Yeast often need nutrient in order to convert sugars to alcohol and CO2 but adding nutrient either before the yeast is active or after they have eaten all the available sugars puts your wine at risk because the same nutrient that is good for the yeast you have pitched is just as good for bacteria and other molds and yeast that may self-inoculate. In my opinion, you really do not want to add any nutrient when more than 3/4 of the available sugars have been converted...

Latest posts

Back