Tonight's Wine Started!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwmc1

Reaction score
Tonight I started a Winexpert Sauvignon Blanc kit, which I have made before and is not bad. However, this time I added fresh squeezed lemon juice and then put the squeezed lemons into cheese cloth and put them in the primary fermentor. The wine seems like it might benefit from a little citrus taste. The juice was about 1/2 cup from 6 lemons.

I would check the PH level of the wine after adding the lemon juice.

You know, I didn't even think about that. Well, we shall see how it ends up. I think it will be OK, but I will absolutely remember that for the next time.

I made a similar kit (Eclipse Marlborough Sauv Blanc) about 6 months ago. I took a different approach which was grapefruit rind in the secondary. I think grapefruit has more citrus breadth and complexity - you get the citrus but you can't readily identify which citrus - and no worries about sugar, pH, etc that you would get from using the juice. I used QA23 yeast and I thought it came out great.

So if you are still low on the citrus taste after fermentation is done, shave the rind off of 1/2 of a grapefruit and add it to the carboy for 2-4 weeks.

It turned out great! It took about 30 days after bottling to taste right, but it worked!

Latest posts

Back