Tomato Wine may be not clearing?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumjump

Reaction score
I started a red tomato wine on 9/19/11 and used the recipe from The Home Winemakers Companion. It finished with SG .094. I degassed and added Sparkloid on 11/12/11 and backsweeten with honey to SG 1.00. I just checked today and there is some settlement on the bottom. Should I rack again and let it sit longer? And if so should I add more kmeta? The thing is I'm not sure how clear this stuff is supposed to get. Right now it looks like a raisin colour. I can't see through it like the white wines I've done.

DSCN0946 (2).JPG

Last edited:
I am thinking it should fall chrystal clear. You could possibly have a pectin or starch haze. Do tomatoes have starch?? ANyway, a shot of pectic enzime might help if it is pectin, have to do a little research on how to get rid of starch. I have read it somewhere here on the forum, but do not know where. Another racking might help clear, degassing might help also. Keep us informed on how it goes. Arne.

Thanks for the reply Arnie. I waited and never got a response from anyone. I got your post after the fact. I went ahead and bottled it. I can still see some sediment in there though. Live and learn. I don't think I'll be giving any for xmas gifts this year though.

It is a lot of work and kinda makes you feel like you are going backwards, but you can open all the bottles, dump em in the carboy, let everything settle again and see how it goes. Sometimes racking again will help it clear, and uncorking and pouring would be like another rack. You will have to rack it off before bottling and get rid of the sediment. Or, you can just decant the bottles before you drink em and leave most of the sediment in the bottles, (this is the easy way). Just a few thoughts. Arne.

Sorry but I missed the original post. I would have given it a shot of super kleer then filtered. Everything I tried did not clear my Skittle wine until I filtered it.

Is this wine for drinking or cooking. If it's for cooking then I would leave it. If its for drinking I would dump it back into a carboy for clearing.

Well I wanted to let you know how my wine is coming along. I bottled on 12/4/2011. We opened a bottle tonight to have with dinner. It was actually pretty clear. It had a good tast to it also. All in all I'm not dissapointed at all in the finished product. The recipe did say to let it sit 3 months before consuming though. So I can't wait to see what the finished product will taste. :sn

That is great news. This is a wine I actually wanted to try with green tomato's. I even had a source lined up for free tomato's but just got too busy being harvest season. I understand green tomato wine comes out almost like a chardonnay.

Back