To prune or not to prune

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackspanish777

Reaction score
I have four plants bought this year from a nursery. Built a climbing structure. Training them up the posts. Should I prune the shoot growing away from post???ImageUploadedByWine Making1397521895.983812.jpg

Making wine in South Texas since March 2014

It won't make a lot of difference however if you leave it, you have more foliage making food for the vine which will give a better root system for a stonger vine in the future. It can be pruned away next spring. Also is that a wire tie around the vine? If so, replace that with another piece of the green tie tape so you don't strangle the vine as it grows.

Thanks. Started with wire tied loosely. Will switch to tape.

Would you bend that other shoot to the post once it is long enough???

I would use a piece of bamboo to keep the shoot straighter and then later gradually bend the whole thing over to the post to avoid a crook in the stem.

I have three varieties planted. Two black spanish, the other two are table grape variety, Red Flame I believe is the other.

Thank you for your help grapeman they look to be growing better now that I have start staking them.

Latest posts

Back