To much sugar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadk88

Junior
Reaction score
My very first wine I started hasnt started fermenting yet and it has been about a week. My starting SG is about 1.120, which I have read is to high. So can I dilute the wine with water to get the SG down to 1.100 and pitch new yeast in there, and do I have to re-add the yeast nutrients and other stuff I put in there. Also, will the grape juice stay good in the bucket it with out it fermenting.

How did you pitch ?

Did you make a Starter ?

Are you sure of viability of your Yeast ?

The longest time I could keep a grape Must before pitching was 3 days at a low Temperature and a low pH .

I wonder how your Must would stay so long with no signs of taking the action by Bacteria ?!

Hector

Welcome aboard!!

What are you making?

Instead of adding that much water to bring down the SG - all it will do is water the wine down - might try and double your batch.

Well I rehydrated the yeast before I pitched it, and I did not make a starter. I dont really have the equipment to double the batch, so what would be the best way to lower the SG besides that. Like I said I am a complete beginner, so if this batch doesnt turn out the best I am not that worried about, just trying to learn.

What's the temp where you're fermenting?

What kind of yeast did you use?

If I was you I'd probably just water the wine down. I wouldn't dump what you take out, out. I'd make a separate, smaller batch.

If you're just starting out, I'd hate to just dump it because you can still learn from this batch.

I use that yeast a lot. Once you get the s.g. down, make a starter. I do that by using an old spaghetti sauce jar and adding warm water, yeast and a few tablespoons of sugar. No exact science for me... I then cap it, shake it, and let it go for a few minutes. Just be careful when you take the lid off, it usually gets going quick.

You can always add flavor back later. Someone here can help you more when you get to that point. Just don't give up!!!

Thanks for all the help, one other question I had was while fermenting in the primary should I have the lid on the bucket completely sealed with an airlock, or should I just have the lid sitting loosely on there so it can oxygen

while fermenting in the primary should I have the lid on the bucket completely sealed with an airlock, or should I just have the lid sitting loosely on there so it can oxygen

As long as it's fermenting vigorously in the Primary , you don't need to seal it with Airlock on , because CO2 pressure above the surface of the Must doesn't let a big Oxygen uptake by the Must and it is safe .

Hector

Good answers to your problem. For future batches, use your hydrometer. S.G. should not be above 1085. Check often as you add your sugar.

Thanks for all the help, one other question I had was while fermenting in the primary should I have the lid on the bucket completely sealed with an airlock, or should I just have the lid sitting loosely on there so it can oxygen

Everyone has their own way of doing this too. Sometimes I just loosely sit the lid on top of the bucket. Other times I use cheese cloth and rubber band it around the top to keep bugs (and kitties) out...

I don't use an air lock at this point because you want the must to get oxygen so that your yeast have a happy appetite.

Latest posts

Back