Other To age or not to age, that is the question....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanyalc

Reaction score
I am new to this hobby (or obsession) and I have not managed to age any of my wine. How do you all do it?

Made so far:

1. Wicked - Hard Lemonade - bottled June 2011 (0/30 bottles left)

2. Argentina Ridge - Chardonnay - bottled December 2011 (0/30 left) - hated it , gave away

3. Argentina Ridge - Cabernet Sauvignon - bottled December 2011 (0/30 left) - gave 4 or 5 away

4. Argentina Ridge - Chardonnay - bottled February 2012 (0/30 left) - hated it , gave all away

5. Argentina Ridge - Cabernet Sauvignon - bottled February 2012 (0/30 left) gave 4 or 5 away

4. Argentina Ridge - Merlot - bottled bottled May 2012 (14/30 left) - gave 3 away

5. Wicked - Hard Lime - bottled May 2012 (10/30 bottles left) gave 5 away

6. Argentina Ridge - Cabernet Sauvignon - bottling soon - June 2012 (30/30 left)

7. Country Mist - Raspberry White Zinfindal - bottling soon - July 2012 (30/30 left)

As you can see I have made a few in the last year but I don't have a lot left (FYI - don't drink it all myself - I do have some helpful friends) and have aged none.

Is it just will power or is there a secret? I definitely don't want to go out and buy wine when I have bottles at home.

Patience grasshopper.....

You have much to learn.

Yes buy as much commercial wine as you need to let your own stuff age. If you can't let it age, perhaps try making beer. No aging required!

...Or you can do what I'm doing. Make more than you can drink and eventually you'll get ahead of yourself. But it take can take A LOT of corboys :dg:dg:p I've got 7 carboys of just Chardonnay in the works. not to mention 8 carboys of reds and 2 other whites going. But I'm obsessive :sm

Are any of the wines that I listed above better/ OK to drink "young"? How long should wines age?

shoebiedoo said:
...Or you can do what I'm doing. Make more than you can drink and eventually you'll get ahead of yourself. But it take can take A LOT of corboys :dg:dg:p I've got 7 carboys of just Chardonnay in the works. not to mention 8 carboys of reds and 2 other whites going. But I'm obsessive :sm

Wow.... I might need to sell my house and buy bigger :)

Wow.... I might need to sell my house and buy bigger :)

Yea, My wife cut me off (from buying juice/kits) till Norther Brew had their last sale. I tried to buy 4 cased of Chard but could only get 2 <grin> I think IK'm cut off again...till the next sale :)

Sadly, I need to stay small... I am working out of my kitchen until we reno the downstairs of our split- entry home (next spring I hope) then I might convince hubby that the 12 x 12 laundry room (and "storage") would make a great wine lab too :)

Sadly, I need to stay small... I am working out of my kitchen until we reno the downstairs of our split- entry home (next spring I hope) then I might convince hubby that the 12 x 12 laundry room (and "storage") would make a great wine lab too :)

THen I have to go with what Mike said. BUY COMMERCIAL!!! I'm not familiar with the brand of kits you're making so I couldn't tell you which one's are early drinker but I will say, one thing you wrote caught my eye...If you don't like a wine right away, DO NOT give it away :ft Those are the one's you put away for another time. Let those babies ages for 6 months or better and try them again. only after a couple years do you give them away. If I was a betting man, I'd say after a year or so you will find yourself saying, :slp, and to think I was going to give this one away!!!!!:dg

It depends on the kit you make. Some are better consumed young such as mist kits, and ones such as Big Reds are better off aged for awhile.

I have started making 2 kits of every thing now. One i promise to put away and then drink it young anyhow. The other just gets aged by default since I have 60 bottles of the same thing. You will be very amazed at how much better a wine will be even with just 1 year of age to it if you can keep it that long.

Those are Costco kits. Not the best, but not the worst. As young drinkers, they should be fine.

Step up to some higher end kits and age those, you will be rewarded.

I see that you are making the Fruit wines from WINE KITZ as well. I would recommend stepping up and trying some of their "Traditional Vintage" or "Ultimate Estate Reserve" kits. Make one of those as well as a Costco kit at the same time.

Drink the Costco kits right away and tuck the Wine Kitz one away. Take one box from each batch (12 Bottles) and write "DO NOT TOUCH TIL 2013"

While some people suggest buying commercial, I say no way, not with the prices up here in canada. Use the money that you would buy 5 or 6 bottles ($75-100 I'd guess) and buy another kit.

Also, my rule of thumb, if you enjoy it, DRINK IT! :ib and make lots

BMac said:
While some people suggest buying commercial, I say no way, not with the prices up here in canada. Use the money that you would buy 5 or 6 bottles ($75-100 I'd guess) and buy another kit.

Also, my rule of thumb, if you enjoy it, DRINK IT! :ib and make lots

I agree... cost of commercial is crazy! :)

Thanks for all the suggestions. So basically, I need to make more so my drinking can in no way catch up to the ones I am trying to age! ;)

I guess its an even trade off. We get cheap commercial wine and expensive health insurance. You guys get free/cheap health insurance and expensive commercial wine.......

Somehow it all comes out a wash in the end doesn't it. Not sure why we (here in the States) spend so much time and energy arguing over healthcare reform, and taxes etc....... :d

And yes make more than you can drink!

I agree... cost of commercial is crazy! :)

Thanks for all the suggestions. So basically, I need to make more so my drinking can in no way catch up to the ones I am trying to age! ;)

DoctorCAD said:
Those are Costco kits. Not the best, but not the worst. As young drinkers, they should be fine.

Pretty good wine. Twin pack (60 bottles) for $60 = $1 per bottle ;)

Latest posts

Back