"Tips and tricks to using a whole house filter"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you guys/gals go about cleaning the whole house filter? Do you just run warm water through it and then toss the filter in the garbage?

I rinse with hot water, run sanitizing solution through it and store the once used filter in a zip-lock bag in the freezer. Then I usually forget that I have a filter in the freezer and open a new one for my next filtering. :slp

I rinse with hot water, run sanitizing solution through it and store the once used filter in a zip-lock bag in the freezer. Then I usually forget that I have a filter in the freezer and open a new one for my next filtering. :slp

haha, great thanks Tony!

Tonyt,
What's your process for prepping a new filter?

I rinse in hot water, drain, run sanitizer through the entire system then wine. You have to waste the first 1/2 bottle of wine though. I try to filter at least a couple carboys at a time. If I filter two or three carboys I usually discard the filter.

Tony
I believe putting them in the freezer breaks down the filter because of any moisture freezing causing the pores to become damaged. I know that others have put a sulfite solution in a ziploc bag for storing.

I personally will use the 3 dollar filter - possibly more than 1 carboy at the filtering stage, to me it is not worth taking the chance for such a low price for a filter.

Filters here are $5.5 - $8.50.

I run warm water over them from the tap on a slant taking care not to mix the inside (clean) with the outside (dirty) and then run warm water directly to the inside going outside.
I drain them dry elevated (maybe do this 2-3 times) then pour a little sulphide solution over again with the inside opening pointing downwards on a little elevated house 'house' then cover loosely with plastic ziplock bag - let mostly dry again and then wrapped and in bottom fridge - not stored for long term -
2 times one micron (one was for first use re-bottling about 100 bottles of various fruit wines which was relatively clean) and one times 5 micron for 5 week period.

That's about 9.5 -10 US six gallon carboys total volume (but actually various small batches (my last three batches are 12 litres recipes) and small clean ups in there) for five weeks of filtering for three filters.

So then ditched - not saved for a long time. No more wine making for me in the summer. :ib

I rinse my piping separately , then run water through then run water through with filter, (unscrew and empty any water) and then filter immediately - I don't waste wine - (no cleaning sulphides mixing in the filter with wine).

I always get to drink the last 4-6 ounces that don't get through!
If you don't taste test they kick you off on master chef so that's a rule I have to follow. :d

Last edited:
You could always use your filter housing and fill it up with a meta solution and connect a hose between inlet and outlet so no air or liquid can escape and keep your filters in there after back flushing them

I found the best way to rinse was simply running water in one end while blocking the other with my Palm. Made the particles "sweat" out of the filter. That being said I stopped trying to re-use filters as I was not getting good results. Best to just wait until you have a bunch of carboys to do and get them done consecutively. Cuts down cost, lost wine, and sanitizing time.

The P5 filter is for "reds" and P1 for "whites". Would my Dragon Blood use the P5 also (a lot of fruit particles escaping through bag/net)? Which filter would be best for the basic Skeeter P?

So....how far back into this thread is an updated list on pieces and parts to buy? Debating whether to pull the trigger on one of these AIO pumps with wine and beer attachments along with the filter.

I believe you my want to check out the review of the Allinonewinepump
It goes more in detail about the type of questions you are asking -

I can give a link but I am on my cell - hopefully some one will post it

The P5 filter is for "reds" and P1 for "whites". Would my Dragon Blood use the P5 also (a lot of fruit particles escaping through bag/net)? Which filter would be best for the basic Skeeter P?

I use the 5 for DB and the 1 for skeeter pee.
Skeeter Pee is almost like an "add on" flavour so no worry there - some people report not much or no sediment for DB even without filtering - just racking.
I re-bottled and filtered rhubarb , crabapple using a "1" - these are like white wines.

I did Walmarts' apple juice, fruit store bought concentrates using a "1" as these are prepared and/or cleared concentrates .
I filtered and re-bottled 100 bottles of home made non-kit wines with terrible sediment from last year that had never been filtered- that was a lesson to filter in the first place!

Natural berries like DB , I think I should use a "5", I'm afraid I might lose something - but maybe a "1" would do - since the clearing from all reports is so well, probably either would do. I'm not making DB for years of aging but I'll see what any leftovers might look like in the bottle next year.
------------------------

For the'fruit particles escaping' I actually dump the fruit bag into the mix on the last day!! Yes !
I do the pressing , because I want it pressed and the dumping because I want every last bit of it the fruit flavour taken into the ferment - waste not, want not.

As for the fruit particles etc, I filter them out with a common household wire filter when I do the first time racking from the carboy - these are far too large to be wanting to pass them through the whole house filter.
Actually most of the time I rack I pass the wine through a common wire filter regardless just to take out any large particles might be around. Only time I don't need the wire filter is bottling or backsweetening after filtering with whole house filter.

The whole house filter will clog with heavy detritus - (happened to me once with the tail end of my first skeeter pee not completely settled - got it all through with one or two stoppages and cleaning of filter - but is manually troublesome - don't recommend it). These kinds of things should be racked out/settled out long before filtering time IMO.
--
Dropped on the floor and broke a whole house filter by accident after it was past it's use anyway. It's uniform material all the way through and very solid - Given the nature of the material seems to lend itself to rinsing and reusing filter while it is still fresh.

Last edited:
filters

Are there any filters available for the whole house filter that are less than 1 micron rating? The Bon Vino Mini-jet super sterile is rated at .5 micron. I have not been able to find a whole house filter cartridge that has a rating less than 1.

Yes
McMaster Carr carries a,. 35 micron filter - I believe for approx 12 dollars or so

I can get you the part # latter if intrestred

Mr Wino,
Here is a link to the McMaster Filter Cartridge page. I have never used these sub-micron filters, but this appears to be the only 10" High, 0.35 micron filter with 1" id (2 3/4" OD) listed. http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-water-filter-cartridges/=sjqr70 See Part #45235K94 for $13.45, each.

Maybe Steve can confirm the part number, but this will get you started on their website.

Thanks all !
I am on vacation we limited cell phone use - o believe I mention the part! On the review of the Allinone around the 4th page or so

Thanks Steve

Latest posts

Back