RJ Spagnols Time Sensitive - need help with MOLD on grape pack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terroirdejeroir

Reaction score
I am starting a Winery Series Rosso Grande Eccelente and I have a pretty serious problem. This kit comes with two jars of grapy goodness, but the first one I opened has a patch of what sure looks like mold on it. I have already hydrated the kit and I am not sure what to do. RJSpagnols is not answering the phone - please help!

moldy grapes.jpg

Last edited:
Remove that mold!
If you added the moldy grape pack to the must without knowing, I'd probably add meta to try to kill any spoilage organisms that may have followed the moldy grape pack into the must and let it sit for a day or two before adding the yeast.
If you didn't add it to the must, tif you didn't add it to the must, don't add the meta before pitching the yeast, But take lots of pics to document it in case the company that you purchased it from wants proof, you may even want to put that container in a Ziploc baggy in case they want it returned.
As Knockabout stated, continue making the wine without the grape pack.
Absolutely contact the shop that sold you the kit and RJSpagnols, let them know that you feel uncomfortable making this kit seeing that a major part was either packaged poorly or infected, you shouldn't have a problem getting a replacement kit, what you do with this current kit after that is up to you, I'd still make it unless it smells sour, like rotten eggs or like vinegar.

Last edited:
Remove that mold!
If you added the moldy grape pack to the must without knowing, I'd probably add meta to try to kill any spoilage organisms that may have followed the moldy grape pack into the must and let it sit for a day or two before adding the yeast.
If you didn't add it to the must, tif you didn't add it to the must, don't add the meta before pitching the yeast, But take lots of pics to document it in case the company that you purchased it from wants proof, you may even want to put that container in a Ziploc baggy in case they want it returned.
As Knockabout stated, continue making the wine without the grape pack.
Absolutely contact the shop that sold you the kit and RJSpagnols, let them know that you feel uncomfortable making this kit seeing that a major part was either packaged poorly or infected, you shouldn't have a problem getting a replacement kit, what you do with this current kit after that is up to you, I'd still make it unless it smells sour, like rotten eggs or like vinegar.

I used the good jar of skins and am hydrating yeast right now. Yeah, I think this will be OK, but I will be very disappointed if I don't get a replacement.

Taste and smell are otherwise good and SG was 1.094 before adding the single jar of goo. Would it help to use some extra tannin?

Perfect! At least you have one jar to add to the must, take another SG reading once you have the grape pack mixed in well, I'd bet that the SG increases a little bit from there, that is going to be a big red as far as ABV goes!
I agree with Mike, You can add tannin at this point, I'd use:
FT Rouge to Promotion of color, body and fruit,
followed by:
Tannin Estate for Mid-palate volume if necessary
or:
Tannin Complex for Tannin structure enhancement,
Personally I like Tannin Riche, it imparts a French oak character and perception of sweetness, or Tannin Riche Extra which imparts Smooth vanillin American oak qualities.
I enjoy a little tannin in my reds, some of which I get when aging in the oak barrels, but I've found that when the wine is just lacking a little something, I'll add a little tannin and come back to it several weeks later to taste it to see where the wine is at, at that point I can adjust it as I see fit.

Tom

The kit you have is not cheap. I have the same one fermenting right now.

I would call up the place you bought it from and get them to give you a full refund. I received a Mosti Mondiale kit that arrived in poor shape several months back. I took pictures and sent it to the seller, who was kind enough to refund.

Update: wholesaler has agreed to replace the kit. Fermenting away on a partial grape pack, it should be interesting to see the difference between the current kit and the replacement.

Latest posts

Back