Thoughts on Bottle Wax?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cocroach

Reaction score
I thought I'd start a separate post on bottle wax in case anyone else had questions, or thoughts/experience using it. I came across some information (link below) on the benefits of wax, such as how it can reduce the risk of spoilage can that come from imperfect corks.

Some other information I came across suggested that bottles can be kept upright because the wax keeps the corks from drying out. Is this true?

I recently bought some bottle wax, really more for decorative purposes and have yet to use it.

Any comments?

http://www.dawnmist.org/chemicals/winemaking/winewax.htm

Cheers.

Thats a great link. I switched over about 6 months ago and never looked back at capsules. Wish I had discovered it before I spent $200 on a capsular. I do the top seal process they show. What I never saw before was the ribbon idea. That would be so cool for gifts and weddings. Thanks for sharing the link. You can also get all the colors at Presque Isle Wine Cellars.

:u Ok I read more from that link and the more I read the more I disliked this company. I disagree with their comments and they are certainly slanted to sell their products. With that said, I like the idea and process and I use it, I don't like this company and would not do business with them.

Thanks Dan. I'm excited to use it. It does sound like a messy and time-consuming process though. After posting this, I did come across some previous posts on this forum where you and others described methods for using the wax. Thanks for these tips. I will keep these in mind for when I take this on.

It does not have to be messy at all. Buy a cheap ($20 or less) from Amazon or use your stove top and buy cheap tephlon pans at Walmart for about $5 each. I have one for each color. This way there is no clean up and you're not throwing out any wax from cleaning up. Counter sink the corks about 1/4" and spoon the wax in. Again metal spoons at walmart are like five for 99 cents.

Good to know. I thought to use tin cans, but it sound like this hadn't worked well.

I have been using wax for years - I use the top seal only method (push cork down about 1/4'' or so and fill till level). I use a tin can and heat over the stove and carry the can with pliers and use a spoon that is bent to pull some wax out to wax my bottles. I typically will be able to fill 2 bottles per spoon fill.
I have also used the cheese wax and that also works well.

I use very little wax this way and notice my wines stay alot longer for shelf life

I always thought that the point of using natural cork that it has just the right permeability to allow exactly enough micro-oxidation to age wine properly. Doesn't adding a wax seal defeat this?

Actually the latest "theory" is that the cork has all the O2 it needs to micro oxygenate the wine without any further O2 crossing the barrier.

I just waxed a few of my bottles last night and I am less than impressed with the results... The bottle wax I used came out really drab and dull looking, when I thought it would have had a glossier look. The process was also really messy. Broken pieces, burnt and melted wax all over the stove and counter.

I decided to dip just a few of the bottles of my Cellar Craft Amarone to see if the aging effects will be any different compared to the ones without the wax.

Before I completely give up on wax, I`ll probably try a different type. Apparently there is a company that does sell glossy bottle wax. For the time being, I`m stuck with bags and bags of this crappy stuff.

http://www.etchedimages.com/wine-bottle-wax

I just waxed a few of my bottles last night and I am less than impressed with the results... The bottle wax I used came out really drab and dull looking, when I thought it would have had a glossier look. The process was also really messy. Broken pieces, burnt and melted wax all over the stove and counter.

I decided to dip just a few of the bottles of my Cellar Craft Amarone to see if the aging effects will be any different compared to the ones without the wax.

Before I completely give up on wax, I`ll probably try a different type. Apparently there is a company that does sell glossy bottle wax. For the time being, I`m stuck with bags and bags of this crappy stuff.

http://www.etchedimages.com/wine-bottle-wax

How did you melt the wax ?? did you use a double broiler or not ?
Did you dip the tops of the bottle ?
did you check the temperature of the wax

I melted the wax in stainless steel pots directly on the stove because I couldn`t find a hotplate, which I thought might work better. I didn`t bother testing the temperature. I just used the back of the spoon to test until I got a consistency I thought would work, then I dipped the bottles (holding back the decorative ribbon down the neck) and stamped the tops to customize them.

I found it was difficult to keep the temperature consistent. By the time I was done with one bottle, the consistency of the wax had changed (either became too thin and runny, or too thick), so the results varied and there were ones I had to do over.

Obviously, folks have had success waxing bottles, but this was not easy and it did not come out great.

Myself, I do not like the look of bottles that have been dippped. I have succesfully embossed bottle tops with a stamp into the wax but it is a real pain to do and takes practice to have the wax at the right consistancy. However I do like countersinking my corks a 1/4" an spooning the wax into the void to look like a button of wax on the bottle top. I can do 15 cases of wine in no time and it's faster than capsuling.

I have been using wax for years - I use the top seal only method (push cork down about 1/4'' or so and fill till level). I use a tin can and heat over the stove and carry the can with pliers and use a spoon that is bent to pull some wax out to wax my bottles. I typically will be able to fill 2 bottles per spoon fill.
I have also used the cheese wax and that also works well.

I would suggest using a double boiler method if you plan on dipping the bottle necks , it will keep the temperature more consistent and less chance of the wax from burning.

Thanks for the pointers! I will try the double-boiler method (not sure why I didn't think of the the first time) and just sealing the and stamping the tops versus dipping.

Latest posts

Back