Third Year Pruning Advice Needed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisvt

Pomfret, VT
Reaction score
I was hoping to get some pruning advice for the upcoming season.

Our vines (predominately Marquette and St. Croix) are entering their third growing season and we have them on a top wire cordon training system. Last year we pruned everything back to two or three buds and over the course of the season, most vines reached the top wire and sent nice laterals in both directions. I have a fairly good idea on how to prune those vines this year.

A few vines weren't as successful. Some made it to the top wire but only sent a lateral in one direction (figure 1); some sent laterals in both directions, but one of those laterals was very short(figure 2); and some made just barely made it to the top wire and didn't send any laterals (figure 3).

How do I prune those vines? Do I prune them back to two or three buds and start over like last year? Leave the trunks and prune to encourage lateral growth?

Thanks!

pruning diagram.jpg

All three are perfectly acceptable starting points for year three vines of Marquette and St Croix. Just clean them up and let them grow. Figure 1 will send out a shoot on the other side that will become the second cordon. Figure 2 will just need the short cordon to extend. Figure three will give you laterals at the wire that will become the cordons for next year.

Back