thinking in a cheap wine kit, will improve?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al_73

Junior
Reaction score
Since theres no way to get grapes in this season in my region, i have the idea of go on a wine kit, lets say something like 60-65 dlls for a 6 gal. and since i have no experience in grape wine before maybe i"ll practice in something for the moment, is There is a way to improve the wine regardless of the time?, maybe adding something to increase body?
Or the wine will come just fine according to the kit instructions....

lets say, adding a better yeast...!
IMO, changing the yeast in a cheap kit will accomplish nothing. It's still a cheap kit.

However, I have no idea what kit will cost you $60-65. Are there some that you were thinking about?

IMO, you are better off getting a better quality kit.

Steve

Vintners Reserve kits are OK, not good, but not bad either. They are a just bit watered down. Very drinkable, though.

i saw this ones yesterday Steve, obviously there's a better one but i just got curious about it,my idea was to just try making drinkable wine....thanks!
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/winemaking-ingredients/wine-recipe-kits/vintner-s-reserve.html
Al:

When I started making wine, the first couple of kits that were made were better quality kits. But then we made a couple of VR/equivalent kits. We enjoyed them all. But they were all whites or blushes. The reds do tend to be weaker than the better kits.

What you're going to like depends a lot on your personal tastes.

Steve

ok, thanks to all

I''ll purchase one of these and another best quality, but right now i want to make some wine!,
saludosss

What about adding raisins or banana skins or a grape pack? Wouldn't those help him improve the kit? Or adding a fruit?

Bulk aging with oak? (assuming it's not already included in the kit)

Last edited:
Al, I have to agree with CPfan. In the smaller kits (i.e. 10-12 liters) the whites are okay and the reds are weak. I had made wine for a long time and got away from it for a period of time. When I decided to get bck into the hobby, I bought a WineExpert World Vineyard Sangiovese which was a 10 liter kit. The wine was disappointing in that it was very thin, no mouth, no body. The taste was just okay. If you just want to get something going and you are set on a 10 liter kit, by all means make it a white wine.

im looking for an "ok" red or white wine at the moment, i dont want to waste money neither to expensive one
maybe i"ll look for those 10 lt kits Rocky, is a good option, thanks!

Boatboy24, i was wating for someone to recomend that, i dont know how will be at the end

I have a very cheap kit (my first) bulk aging with hungarian med+ oak cubes. It's a Vino Italiano Barolo - $45 bucks on Amazon with free shipping. I have low expectations, but wanted to get my feet wet with a small investment at first - more to learn the process and get something that is hopefully drinkable and drinkable early. I'll know in another month or two. Just hit the 14 day mark on bulk aging and will start to taste test bi-weekly after 21 days.

but wanted to get my feet wet with a small investment at first - more to learn the process and get something that is hopefully drinkable and drinkable early.

this is exactly the way i see it
18 months ago i started in brewing beer, i begun with a kit from midwest supplies, so the only i was to do is follow the instructions and well, i learned the hard way with two infections in the beer at the beggining, after that i started in AG process...

thanks for comments
Al

There's a lot of good ideas here. I've learned that lower priced kits produce lower quality wine primarily because the main ingredient (juice and/or concentrate) is lower quality than that found in more expensive kits. If you want to start with a lower end kit, I have three suggestions. First, follow the instructions and get the basics down pat. Also, make it a point to understand why everything is done. Second, try a kit that produces something you'll recognize so you'll be able to judge how it turns out. Third and most important, make something you like.

Latest posts

Back