thin white layer on top

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arman

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here. I am making wine for the second time. This time I also dropped grape stems. I pressed them around 40 days ago. Taking off the lid and stirring once everyday.

But after about a month from pressing, I realized there is a white layer on top of barrel. I started taking of lid, twice every day and stirring the content.

Everything was done water-free and sanitized.

I want to know what the white layer could be? and is it unhealthy or damaging to wine?

Also if there is a problem with having grape stems in it also?

Thanks in advance

*****UPD******

I have not used any additives, and I am making red wine.

Last edited:
We don't have enough information to be sure but it sounds like you probably have spoiled wine. What lid are you referring to? What did you ferment in? What is it in now? Did you use naturally occurring yeast (wild)? What kind of grapes? What was the starting specific gravity? What is the SG now? Generally you keep the stems out.

If you have it in a semi-open container and it is 40 days old, it may be spoilage organisms on top. Answer a few questions and we may be able to advise better.

P.S. Seeing your location you might not want to be making wine.................

Research Mycoderma.. it's most likely what you have… Get that barrel topped all the way up and wack it with a double dose of so2 according to your wine's pH.. wait a month and see where your at..

I have used a local variety of grape, called Shahani grape. They are round, big and very dark colored. I fermented in a big hard-plastic container. I have not yet filtered it, so everything is still in it. I have not measured SG. I have not added anything, so I am using the natural yeast.

I put a cloth behind the lid, and close it quite tightly. Only opening to stir the contents. The cloth is supposed to collect the dripping water.

It is actually somewhat of a traditional method to make wine here. It does have a long history, although you may not expect it to be so (read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirazi_wine). Even today, there is a lot of people making wine in their homes.

Our winemaking processes are quite different so I might suggest you consult someone in one of those households that makes their own.

Latest posts

Back