Theoretical Champagne Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex_B

Junior
Reaction score
Now we all love champagne as a light and complex bubbly to toast with, but what if a certain grape was added to create a heavier body. Before you say it, I know it is utter fantasy to not use either Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier, or Chardonnay. However, as an abstract idea, what do you guys imagine would happen if Sémillon was added to the mixture?
Would it create any dilemmas in the method intended for traditional grapes, or do you think a creamy and toastier champagne might be the only end result. Could MLF and oaking be bypassed to keep the tartness of the other grapes while blending the mixture with the Sémillon to make an even more complex Champagne? The percentage of Sémillon most likely would need to be kept fairly low to keep the balance the grapes.
In summary, would adding Sémillon to champagne turn it from a light and crisp "Sprite" to the deeper and more complex "Root beer"?

Hope to hear your input!

Now we all love champagne as a light and complex bubbly to toast with, but what if a certain grape was added to create a heavier body. Before you say it, I know it is utter fantasy to not use either Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier, or Chardonnay. However, as an abstract idea, what do you guys imagine would happen if Sémillon was added to the mixture?
Would it create any dilemmas in the method intended for traditional grapes, or do you think a creamy and toastier champagne might be the only end result. Could MLF and oaking be bypassed to keep the tartness of the other grapes while blending the mixture with the Sémillon to make an even more complex Champagne? The percentage of Sémillon most likely would need to be kept fairly low to keep the balance the grapes.
In summary, would adding Sémillon to champagne turn it from a light and crisp "Sprite" to the deeper and more complex "Root beer"?

Hope to hear your input!

You can make champagne out of anything. I have had champagne made out of merlot and simply loved it. The typical grapes (Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier, and Chardonnay) are prized for champagne due to the way their flavor holds up against the bubbles.

I so go for it! I think it is certainly worth giving it a try.

Back