The use of vacuum to transfer using plastic carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sili

Junior
Reaction score
I switched from glass carboys after a serious accident when I had a carboy explode on be. The question I have is if there is a way to use a vacuum pump to transfer using this type of container? I use an enolmatic to bottle but have been gravity transferring and getting tired of lifting carboys. Vacuum is great at reducing oxygen. I know in can use a portable pump but like the idea of vacuum.

Pretty hard to do. I know I like the Better Bottle carboys. It is easy to transfer from plastic, but not the other way around.

If you keep the vacuum very low, it will work, but it takes much longer.

You shouldn't have a problem vacuum-bottling from plastic.

Sili - What made the carboy explode?

If you don't mind sharing the story, it might help others avoid the same kind of accident.

BobF said:
Sili - What made the carboy explode?

If you don't mind sharing the story, it might help others avoid the same kind of accident.

No problem! I was lifting a 6gallon carboy to a high counter prepping to bottle this nice Zin . The wife had just wiped down the tile floor and as I lifted the carboy my feet slipped on the wet floor. I fell on to my butt still holding the carboy in my hands. Attempting to hold qthe bottle up a corner of it tapped the tile. Being that there was no air space to absorb the minor vibration the glass failed in exploded into a hundred pieces one large piece came down on two of my fingers cutting the nerves and tendons it the palm. One artery in each finger was cut also. After surgery and therapy the fingers are working well except for a little feeling. My point is that a completely full carboy is stressed to its max and even the slightest pressure to the container can cause it to fail. I don't use glass any longer this could have been much worse.

No problem! I was lifting a 6gallon carboy to a high counter prepping to bottle this nice Zin . The wife had just wiped down the tile floor and as I lifted the carboy my feet slipped on the wet floor. I fell on to my butt still holding the carboy in my hands. Attempting to hold qthe bottle up a corner of it tapped the tile. Being that there was no air space to absorb the minor vibration the glass failed in exploded into a hundred pieces one large piece came down on two of my fingers cutting the nerves and tendons it the palm. One artery in each finger was cut also. After surgery and therapy the fingers are working well except for a little feeling. My point is that a completely full carboy is stressed to its max and even the slightest pressure to the container can cause it to fail. I don't use glass any longer this could have been much worse.

I am glad you recoverd from your injury !
I also had a very similiar experience - luckily it was not as severe as yours. That is 1 of the main reasons I developed the ALLINONE , so nobody will ever have to lift a full carboy or even a primary container, mainly because I also have a bad back as well .

Last edited:
vacuumpumpman said:
I am glad you recoverd from your injury !
I also had a very similiar experience - luckily it was not as severe as yours. That is 1 of the main reasons I developed the ALLINONE , so nobody will ever have to lift a full carboy or even a primary container, mainly because I also have a bad back as well .

Steve, Your unit sounds like a good thing. My issue is how do we do it with a plastic carboy. I have an idea but not real detailed . Might work with your system. How about this. A small vacuum proof container with a valve at the bottom that would open when the weight of a liquid. Pushes against it. When the container is empty it closes to allow a vacuum to be pulled. This container would sit directly on top of the plastic carboy or have a gravity flow tube into the carboy. The cap on the carboy would have an air lock so as the carboy fills any air in the car boy is displaced ou

Just an idea we can share the royalties

Another idea this unit has a stand for the carboy to sit under it

my name is Steve also

I know this is an old thread - But I finally found a solution to transfer into a PET or plastic carboy using the allinonewinepump .

Here is a youtube video on it -
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiv-q_B9I_Y[/ame]

Latest posts

Back