The proper order of things???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty

Reaction score
I seem to be getting the idea of what to do to make wine. My concern has been to learn what to do and when. I may just earn the rep of welches grapejuice king at this rate.

Well i have finally decided to play with the plastic primary fermenter. I want to add pectic enzyme for 24 hours before i get to addjusting the sugar, acidity and finally pitching.the yeast( im going to make a yeast starter just to make things more fun)).I dont believe it is necessary though)). Pitching is a big word for me as i really cant stand watching baseball.

Finally to my question.

When testing for and adjusting acidity, should i do it before or after i adjust the sugar to the desired potential alcohol level??

Hmmm, good question. I think it should be after adding the sugar, as you are changing the components by adding sugar.

My logic is this: You have a super-sour lemonade, and by adding more sugar, it doesn't taste so sour anymore.

I'm a total dud in acidity issues, but I would say to do it that way. ANyone else?

I really don't think it would make any difference as the acidity I do not believe will be impacted by the sugar one way or another. I understand Martina's reasoning but I believe in her scenario the acidity did not change, it was just masked somewhat.

Hey !! Now you have my 2 cents !!

First of all, thanks for the replys.

I have another thought. (((That is a memorable event in itself
smiley36.gif
.))) I want to use inverted sugar to speed up the fermentation process.((I think) The formula calls for some citric acid. SOOOO maybe based on this i should adjust acid after i adjust the sugar level. ((only if i actually start using invert sugar.

What say?????

Im having fun and as a newcomer i am sure i am over doing things but this is really interesting stuff.
smiley17.gif
Edited by: scotty

Your total acidity (TA) won't change regardless of how much sugar you add. Your perceived acidity, however, will. What is your reason for wanting to speed up the fermentation?

Whether using plain sugar or invert sugar you want to adjust acid after you have completed the entire makeup. Changing the volume alone will affect the amount of acid since a TA check is a measurement of grams per liter.

masta said:
Whether using plain sugar or invert sugar you want to adjust acid after you have completed the entire makeup. Changing the volume alone will affect the amount of acid since a TA check is a measurement of grams per liter.

That makes good sense. Thanks for the thought.

I read that invert sugar is easier for yeast to convert to alcohol.

Why do i want to speed up the fermentation. Well why do i want to make my own wine, cheese, sausages or pasta. Why why why. Just to see it done is my simple reason.

Latest posts

Back