The Great Grape Heist

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodo

Reaction score
Found this in the news.

Here is the origional link
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20017943-504083.html?tag=cbsnewsSectionContent.6

NEAR BENTON CITY, Wash. (CBS) Put out an APB for a red-lipped purple-toothed bandit!

A vineyard in eastern Washington State says it was targeted by thieves with very discriminating taste, and got cleaned out of a rare grape they were experimenting with.

"[This] takes a real wine geek," Paul McBride, one of the owners of Grand Reve Vintners, told local station NWCN. "This is a very exotic grape for Washington State."

McBride said the pilfered grapes were Bushvine Mourvedre, which is usually only found in the southern Rhone regions of France. The vineyard planted the rare bushes three years ago and this would have been the first harvest for turning the grapes into wine.

Vineyard Manager Ryan Johnson told NWCN the theft looked to him to be a professional job, and the grape nappers made off with almost 2,000 pounds of grapes in what he called a clean harvest.

"Whoever it was, knew what they were doing," Johnson said. And they only took the Mourvedre grape, leaving behind many other varietals.

McBride thinks that whoever took his rare crop is the type of person "who lies in bed at night thinking, 'I've just got to have this vine-grown Mourvedre'."

McBride and Johnson reported the theft to the Benton County Sheriff's Department and offered a $5,000 reward, but so far investigators have no leads.

Maybe this is why Troy is so hush-hush.
:)
J/K Troy.
You might actually have to bottle something if you did this,
and there's little chance of that, huh?

:i

It wasnt me, that's for sure!

Damn whoever it was, for not sharing a good idea.... But it sounds like they knew what it was since the vines were planted, and just waited it out for the crop..

That is just low I mean to steal a man's grapes on his first harvest of the crop,it would not be good if that guy is like me and finds this person.

wife was saying it must've been a good sized bunch to take that many then I told her remember it didn't take us all day to pick over 500 pounds of muscadines and those aren't in bunches

Yeah - i picked almost 1,000 pounds by myself in about 4-6 hours.

So if you had 2-3 people - you could easily pick 2,000 pounds in a few hours.

Latest posts

Back