The definition and history of "body"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyhawk

Reaction score
I once read that the origin of the term "body" came from some ancient wine making practice of throwing dead animals (like rats) into fermenting wine in order to add more thickness to the product.
smiley29.gif

I have no idea if that's true, but when I look on the Internet for definitions of body in relation to wine, they almost always say it relates to "alcohol content" (period). I found that strange.

This is the first thing I pulled up when I Googled it!
"
<h1>Body - Wine Tasting Term</h1>

Wine tasters often talk about the mouth feel or the body of a wine. Just what is the body of a wine and how do you describe it?

Really, when you talk about a wine's body or mouth feel, you are
describing how thick or thin, how oily or watery it feels in your
mouth. Your tongue and mouth can sense all sorts of textures. Think how
a milkshake seems different than water, how a ginger ale seems
different from cough syrup. All of these are liquids, but all have
different bodies.

Most people have tasted milk and cream so this is a good
comparison you can understand. When wine tasters say "light/thin body"
they usually mean something very watery - like 1% or 2% milk. There's a
bit of substance there - you're drinking wine, after all, not water -
but it is very light.

The next level is "medium body". This is more like regular
milk. There's a bit of substance there, but it's not really thick, it's
just tangible.

Finally, for thick wines like port or sauternes, there is the
"full body". This is more like cream, where there is really something
swirling around in your mouth.

The best way to learn more about wine body is to TRY different
wines! Get a light Riesling for the light wine, a buttery Chardonnay
for the middle, and a nice port for the heavy. Try them all side by
side and see how they differ!"

And close to the top:

"<a href="http://www.bacchuswinecellars.com/judge.html" target="_blank">A wine's body is measured by swirling it around the glass and seeing how long it takes
the wine to flow down the sides"</a>

Wikipedia specifically mentions alcohol content in their definition.
<a href="http://www.stratsplace.com/dict/b_dict.html" target="_blank">
Additionally "</a></font><a href="http://www.stratsplace.com/dict/b_dict.html" target="_blank">Body is most effected by alcohol
( the higher the alcohol the more "full bodied" the wine
)"</a>

It's just that I never associated alcohol content with "body" before, yet many definitions provided see it as either a key element or the main determinant. </font>

Skyhawk said:
I once read that the origin of the term "body" came from some ancient wine making practice of throwing dead animals (like rats) into fermenting wine in order to add more thickness to the product.
smiley29.gif

Maybe, Adding "DEAD OLD 'NANNERS", is not that bad of a choice after all!!

smiley24.gif

Skyhawk said:
And close to the top:

"A wine's body is measured by swirling it around the glass and seeing how long it takes the wine to flow down the sides"

Wikipedia specifically mentions alcohol content in their definition.
<a href="http://www.stratsplace.com/dict/b_dict.html" target="_blank">
Additionally "</A>Body is most effected by alcohol ( the higher the alcohol the more "full bodied" the wine )"

It's just that I never associated alcohol content with "body" before, yet many definitions provided see it as either a key element or the main determinant.

I feel compelled to reply because there is a lot of confusion about what what body in wineis all about.

Most often, people equate body to alcohol; this is not right. You can have a light-bodied wine witha high-alcohol wine and vice versa. You need to consider other tactile elements.

Body is about the balance of alcohol, tannins, sweetness and acidity. And so, a 13%, tannic Cab with the "right" level of acidity would be considered full-bodied. Reduce the tannins substantially, and the wine becomes light-bodied.

And tears (legs) mean absolutely nothing.

throwing dead anything, much less rats, would forever make me quit drinking wine
smiley11.gif
yuk!!!
wade, thanks for your descriptions using milk and cream, those I compeletly can understand !!! And relate back to my own wine to figure out how much "body" they might have.
TinaLouise

Travisty said:
D. Pambianchi said:
And tears (legs) mean absolutely nothing.

Well that's not technically true. It means there's alcohol in the wine!
smiley2.gif
smiley17.gif

Ok. My point was that people equate tears with body or whatever else, and that's not true.

Latest posts

Back