The annual picking conundrum

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebronze

Reaction score
Well, its that time again. The LaCrosse, Marquette, Frontenac, F.Gris and F.Blanc are all in the high teens on brix. Starting to see lots of bees on the F.Blanc and a few berries going south on the others. Do I pick or hold out for the low 20's? What say y'all. This week's weather looks real good in the east....

You have to decide how much you want to play with fire. Mine started getting like that, I elected to try to go just one more week (picking mid-week was not practical). It got my Foch to perfect chemistry, although I probably lost 10-20% of wine volume to yellow jackets. But I had 100% loss on my Oberlin Noir (primarily yellow jackets).

Sound advice. I have been watching day by day and I may bring them in tomorrow. We have some weather coming and the yellow jackets are getting fierce. They are the little ones, but boy are there a ton of them. I got the new bird netting this year and it is working well, but don't know what to do about the yellow jackets except just harvest. Maybe in my bee suit!

Back