TEMPRATURE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZSHJ

Junior
Reaction score
I HAVE SEEN A TON OF INFO ON FERMENTING TO COLD, BUT NO MENTION OF TO WARM, I HAVE A WE YACK PINO GRIZ GOING AND IT WANTS TO STAY IN THE LOW 80'S. IF I TAKE THE BREW BELT OFF I KNOW IT WILL DROP IN TO THE LOW 60'S LIKE THE NEAR BY CARBOYS THAT ARE BULK AGING. I THINK THE TEMP WILL EFFECT THE FLAVOR, BUT HOW MUCH AND IN WHICH WAYS?

Loosen up on the Brew Belt. Keep a little slack and you'll limit the heat transfer.

Move the belt upwards on the carboy to lower the temperature and lower it on the carboy to raise the temperature. Sounds goofy, but it usually works like a charm.

Makes perfect sense really.

Heat rises. The higher up on the bucket or carboy the belt is the less heat transfer to the lower areas.

I have alsostarted usingdoor stop wedges underneath the belt in 3 or4 places around the belt to help regulate the temp. It pulls the belt away from the bucket near the wedge. The kitI have on now has 3 wedges with the belt near the center of the bucket and is keeping it right around 75 deg with a room temp in the mid 60's. My last kit the room temp was a little higher so used 4 wedges.

These ideas, about manipulating the brew belt for additional heat control are great!

I have already, in my newbie status, ran into situations where it was too much heat WITH the belt, but not enough WITHOUT it.

I already knew about moving the belt higher/lower on the container, but never thought about loosening the belt or putting wedges between it and the container.

Thanks bunches.

As to taste,I believe fermenting at 85'F does affect taste and it is a permanent character of the batch.Here in Florida I've had some run away batches that seemed to have turbo yeast as they fermented so fast and warm.Yet they were not my best vinos

Latest posts

Back