Taste Queation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeleepad

Junior
Reaction score
I'm making a 1 gallon batch of home grown muscadine grape wine. I just raked it into the glass carboy and had a little left over. I put the rest in a glass jar and put it in the fridge. It had been in the primary for a week and the jar has been in the fridge for 2 days. So I tasted a lil from the jar in the fridge and it tasted like cough medicine. Is the taste cause it is a very young wine? Will that taste go away with aging?

It sounds like your wine is only about 10 - 14 days old since being squashed grapes. Is this the case?

I would imagine if you let it sit longer it will taste much better. Wine needs time to improve. I personally do not care for it til the yeasts settle out. Then after that it usually takes a while before it gets good. Arne.

Is the wine clear yet? All mine I have tasted had a slightly terrible flavor until they cleared. Once cleared they take on a whole new flavor. My Muscadine went into the secondary after 10 days of primary fermentation but tasted like yuck infused Muscadine. It was as thick looking as orange juice. Two months has cleared it very much, but I am a racking and two more months from clear I think. Just think....after 30 days of primary, you are tasting dead yeast and nutrient, which doesn't taste very swift. It'll get better.

Also, how ripe were your grapes? Were they still kinda green or were they soft golden and beginning to go raisin on you? That always made a huge difference for me when I made juice.

Latest posts

Back