Tannin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gird123

Reaction score
I searched and read a few thing. I was wondering if some one could direct me to info on how they adjust/test tannin.

I have mainly followed recipes adjusting TA and SG and I'm trying to improve my process for every thing.

Tannin is a huge subject. Why not tell us what you are trying to do---what kind of wine?

Ok. I have to start with we moved in January and i can't find the detail sheet for the wine so this is off the top of my head. It is 92 % Barbara pressed not fermented on skins with 8% rubi red for color. I used rc212 yeast and ground American oak in primary with fermaid k. Also added tannin ft rouge and opti red as they recommended. It is from Delicato in cal.

The wine is pretty good. I feel it is missing something on the finish. It has been bulk aging since aug.

Totally subjective.... tannin is an art form using your pallet. The finishing tannin I've been experimenting with is TanCor Grand Cru. I find that using about a teaspoon per 6 gallons adds just a little mid pallet refinement and lengthens the finish. I simply add it to the secondary at for least 6 weeks (more like 6 months).

Words to the wise: don't overdo the tannin and "when in doubt leave it out". I haven't used the liquid tannin additives yet but some people swear by them. Most powder tannins will simply give that astringent "pucker factor". Midwest supplies sells Unico #1 - 3.5 grams for $10 while FVW sells an entire pound of "Wine tannin" powder for $14. So you can see.... this is not a simple question to pose as you have.

You might try some "real" oak since you already added FT Rouge. A spiral or oak beans or cubes.

I agree with what's been said. I was going to suggest oak,also, as ibglowin said. Remember, oak IS tannin and some oak on this wine might be really nice. A medium french toast will give you some vanilla notes that might be very pleasant.

Back