WineXpert Tannin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterCooper

Reaction score
I have made a fair number of kits now. The two whites (Pinot Grigio and Murray River Reserve) I have done a couple of times and the results have been pretty much as I expected. I've given away about half of those kits and they have been universally liked.

The reds have been a little different. I've done a VR Chianti, WE Cotes des Brumes, VR australian Shiraz, VR Chilean Merlot, WE Sangiovese, and a Barolo. I also did an Amarone but I really messed that one up and I am not counting it. It tastes like Peter Vella box wine
smiley11.gif

In all of the reds, there is good body, good fruitiness and they generally seem to be well balanced. However, in comparing to a commercial wine, the tannin level seems to be somewhere between low and missing. Is this just me or do others feel the same?

I suspect that the tannin levels influence aging and by keeping the tannin low, the wine matures more quickly and is drinkable earlier... but I don't really know.

Those of you with experience of crushendo kits, is the tannin level one of the differences between them and other kits?

I am not an experienced kit winemaker. However, I suspect that the grape concentration process does not extract the same level of tannin that fermentation on the grapes does. I would expect you would have more tannin from a crushendo kit, given the grape pak. I hope this bumps your topic so you get an answer from the crushendo winemakers.

Peter the Crushendo kits will definitely provide the tannins you are seeking.

You might try adding heavy toast oak cubes during the bulk aging process. The oak has some tannins in it.

I've found from all the WE kits, that the Luna Rossa from selection has decent tannins. The estate series reds are okay too. After that, only crushendos provide what you are looking for.

I don't do too many non-grape pack red kits anymore. I do the limited editions, but after that, they just don't provide the flavor profile I am looking for. Of course all these kits do require about 1 year aging minimum.Edited by: Dean

Hi Peter,
I had the same experience recently with a VR Merlot kit--- liked it but just seemed to lack decent tannins. Sounds like the Crushendo kits might be the next step for me... Wonder though if it might be possible to add tannin to one of the VR kits to make up for this???
Marilyn

To me, the secret is in the oak, or lack of it. I think the kit manufacturers are trying to appeal to a wide arrange of tastes. As a result, they err on the side of light tannins. My suggestion is to add oak cubes, even to most of the whites to get more tannins and body. I have had oustanding results with the medium toast for adding tannins. If you want more of the oakey taste, go with either the house or heavy toast.

George, (and others) - what stage are you usually adding the oak? I'm talking strictly kits here. I was thinking that adding the dust at primary was ok, but that the wine could benifit from adding some cubes during bulk ageing. What do you think?

I have added oak during bulk aging to all but my first wine kit. For the whites I usually add less and use the lighter toasts. I think it makes a huge difference in body and my wines are still just lightly oaked unlike a lot of commercial wines. How much / how long depends on your tastes. I would recommend checking the wine regularly after the first 3-4 weeks. I've even added smaller amounts of oak cubes to the process after transferring to the primary. I usually use oak cubes from George, but I am trying some oak spirals (found under the oaking section - older posts). The spirals you can suspend in the carboy with a line and pull it our much easier than the cubes - where you need to rack. The spirals do seem to be more potent than the oak cubes, so you need to check it more often.

Latest posts

Back