Tannin additions to steamed juices

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cracked Cork

Reaction score
Do any of you guys that steam juice your fruit add back some tannins that are lost due to not fermenting on the skins?

Crackedcork

I do not steam my fruits but I do add tannin to most of my wines and did notice a difference in body.

This lady adds tannin to all my steam juiced wines.....being as I steam juice most of them I just got in the habit of adding it.

Do you add it to your Elderberry wines????
Are they high in tannin????

I do add oak to most of the wines too.

I havent added it to the elderberries because they are already high and steaming them seems to knock a lot of it out. I guess we do need to add some to the others we are making if we dont add any grape juice. So what levels of tannin are you adding to your berries and cherries?

Thanks.

Crackedcork

I add about 3-4 tsp per 6 gallons for the fruit blend wines...
I use liquid tannin, don't know if there is a difference to the powder.

I usually add some WinExpert concentrate or some frozen apple juices ....or...what ever to boost the flavor and body to the wines..

We like full flavored wines with a bit of a bite.....don't think we have ever had a batch with too much tannin....

Is there such a thing as too much tannin????

NW, ferment 4pounds of elderberries for a week/gal and see if there isnt such a thing as too much tannin :) What brand of liquid tannin are you using?

Wade, you arent steaming your juices right?

Crackedcork

Cracked Cork.....I think it is Carlson's liquid tannin...

The Chokecherries also are pretty heavy in tannin....kind of astringent. I think when I made a batch with too much fruit the taste was astringent/tart.

Have a fe bottles of that batch left....think I will make Wine Jelly with it.

I forgot, we oak everything so I guess we are getting enough tannins from that. Also we sometimes add dried elderberries which will give them some tannin so I think I am covered. Crackedcork

Latest posts

Back