Finer Wine Kit Syrah Forte

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billdean

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don’t care for real tannic dry red wine. I'm wondering if the FWK Syrah Forte without skins would be a better option for me? I am going to start this kit tomorrow and was curious how it might turn out with out the skin packs?

I like tannic wines but I’ve never been able to make a kit tannic enough. Have you done this before and found it to be too tannic, or just hypothesizing? Perhaps Syrah is not the best choice as this varietal in renown for its tannin.

I hesitate to suggest deviating from the instructions, but what you suggest won’t hurt the wine. I would consider blending in some other, softer reds if the wine ferments to a tannic state that’s too aggressive for you. Maybe blackberry, cherry, plum, etc.

Thin and weak. I tried a FWK kit w/o a skins pack and was sorely disappointed. A sigle skins pack will not overwhelm with the tannins, but the flavor is greatly magnified with the pack.

No skins pack - save yourself some time and trouble and go to Trader Joe's for some 3 buck chuck.

I like tannic wines but I’ve never been able to make a kit tannic enough. Have you done this before and found it to be too tannic, or just hypothesizing? Perhaps Syrah is not the best choice as this varietal in renown for its tannin.

I hesitate to suggest deviating from the instructions, but what you suggest won’t hurt the wine. I would consider blending in some other, softer reds if the wine ferments to a tannic state that’s too aggressive for you. Maybe blackberry, cherry, plum, etc.
Just hypothesizing I guess. It may have not been the best choice for me. I wanted it for a reunion were having next September 2024 in Arizona. I have a few whites and wanted to bring a good red wine. I guess thats why I picked the Forte Series. The only red I have is Daves Dragon Blood and that is still in the carboy. Will probably bottle that in a couple weeks. I probably should buy some red wine to see exactly what I like, but the selection is so overwhelming.

My fear is if you make a low tannic Syrah, your guests won’t recognize it. I would buy an extra kit and make one the way you like it and one per the instructions so your guests will think you’re a really good winemaker! :rolleyes:

My fear is if you make a low tannic Syrah, your guests won’t recognize it. I would buy an extra kit and make one the way you like it and one per the instructions so your guests will think you’re a really good winemaker! :rolleyes:
Ha ha….good winemaker! You are absolutely right! I will make the kit as the direction say. They did like my Skeeter Pee last year!

I received my Syrah Forte kit today…Just finished putting the musk together and starting the yeast in a wine bottle. I will pitch the yeast at some point tomorrow. The musk tasted terrific right now. SG 1.100.

Maybe make the Syrah with the skins but skip the oak. The wine will likely have a brighter fruit taste and will have less tannin overall. Just seems a waste to make a Forte kit without the skins. If you're looking for a low tannnin red, I'd check out the Pinot Noir. The Forte PN is out of stock right now, unfortunately... the only Forte kits left are the Petite Sirah, the Syrah, Merlot, Zin and Southern Rhone.

When it's back, give it a try. Mine gets rave reviews.

Paragraph # 3 does not make a lot of sense to me. I believe they are trying to tell me once the SG reaches 1.010 to snap the lid closed and don’t open the lid again until day 15. Where is the 15th day decided from. From the day the must was first made or from the day you pitched the yeast? IMG_0489.jpeg

Paragraph # 3 does not make a lot of sense to me. I believe they are trying to tell me once the SG reaches 1.010 to snap the lid closed and don’t open the lid again until day 15. Where is the 15th day decided from. From the day the must was first made or from the day you pitched the yeast? View attachment 101459
That’s Day 15 from starting the wine (pitched the yeast). You’ll usually get to 1.010 in about 4-5 days, sometimes sooner. But either way, a day isn’t going to make or break anything. Many folks do an EM for weeks beyond the 15 day mark.

Back