Sweetening Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kat50496

Reaction score
Finally getting around to back sweetening my first batch of pee. Made strictly according to Lon's recipe to this point. I plan on starting the sweetening by adding a few cans of concentrate, and tasting after each can and then adding additional sugar if necessary.

Since I've never backsweetened any wine before, I have a few questions:

1. Does this approach to final backsweetening and flavoring even sound right. I expect to start with about 3 cans of concentrate, taste and then add additional concentrate or sugar as necessary to desired flavor and sweetness.

2. How much sugar at a time to add? One cup and then taste or more?

3. Finally, if I get it to where I want it, and then leave it alone for a few weeks before bottling, will the flavors change? In other words, is there a chance that if I get the sweetness right, is there a possibility that it will be over sweet after a few weeks in the carboy?

Sorry for all of the questions, just want to make sure. thanks in advance

1. sounds fine, but taste often.
2. Yep a little at a time.
3. under sweeten by a hair. and record the SG afterwards for future reference... you can always add a pinch into the bottle when you drink it, but you can't get it back out.
HTH

Latest posts

Back