Sweetening or for the other half backsweetening

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBWs

Sixth year into this... and still learning!
Reaction score
While new to this, I read a lot and I'm trying to figure out the best time to sweeten my wines. Most of what I have read says after racking from secondary degas, add sulfite and sorbate, backsweeten and F-pac then age. My question is if you are going to age for lets say a year why would you not hold off on sweetening until the wine mellows before sweetening, say at 9 month? Wouldn't one have a better idea on how much sweetening is needed the later sugar is added in the process?

We like to bulk age our fruit wines about a year in the carboy, then degass what gas is left, sulfite always, and then decide if we need to backsweeten after we have tasted it, if we do then add the sugar and then sorbate. As you will find out in this hobbie, there are a million ways to do even the most basic steps but if you understand why you are doing each step instead of just doing it things make a lot more sense. Crackedcork

Simple,

1 f-pac will cloud wine. So, this is done after wine has gone dry racked and stabilized (meta & sorbate).

2 Backsweetening may cloud the wine so you may need more time.

Clearing after you have done 1&2 will be easier depending on what clearing agent you use. There will be more (stuff) in suspension and will drop faster.

You are talking about a homemade fruit wine and not a purchased wine kit, like a mist kit, right?
I know some make their own F pack, but was just wondering.

Yes, country fruit wines. Blackberry, Elderberry/Blackberry, Raspberry, Peach/White Grape, Plum/Apple and Apple/Cranberry so far. I'm finding it's hard to get the sweetness where I want it, if I sweeten when the wine is young. I tend to sweeten to much to cover the harshness.

Usually after they have cleared on there own is when i back sweeten. Bout 6 months. I prefer not to use clearing agents so it takes longer sometimes, but that is no big deal to me. Less likely to over sweeten that way. You can always add more but can never take it away.

SBWs, when you backsweeten take a reading, wines will sweeten a little more as it ages. When you go to drink your wine, if the wine is too sweet, then the next time go with a lower gravity. Writing down will give you more consistantly.

Like Tom as said, backsweetening and adding f-pacs can cloud your wines. I prefer to backsweeten mine once it is done fermenting. What I have noticed in my wines is the sweet level will go a little higher as it ages but after about 6 months the sweet level stays the same but the flavor continues to improve.

Take the readings and you should not have an issue with a too sweet wine once you knonw where to backsweeten too.

Latest posts

Back