Sweeteners

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim P

Reaction score
I have been using a wine conditioner to sweeten my wines , and so far I haven't encountered any problems.

Someone tell me what is f-pac , or the simple sugar syrup.
What brands , and what procedures to follow.

Thanks
Jim

in its simplest terms a F/PAC is the aberration for flavor pack usually used in straight wines to create wine blends (island mist strawberry white merlo and the like in fruit making its taking the actual fruit creating a concentrated version of the same fruit into juice, adding it back to the finished wine and Hensley adding more flavor ,body and texture,,,,,,,simple syrup is 1 part water to 2 parts sugar boiled to a completely(very clear)dissolved state cooled and used to re sweeten to taste ,all of this i can assure you will in some way be explained in more detail as you inquire along the line ....ok

Actually it is a Finishing pack as some wines just include the wine conditioner as you can buy separately.

wade you might be right on the term finishing pack and i don,t do many kits as i did in the beginning,but if you go back into the achieves here you,ll see the i talked about f/PAC,extras and simple syrup so to me and f/ PAC is a pure flavor enhancer ,the experience i,ve had with them is adding the collocate backinto the port and the like is to add, added flavor either before during or after fermentation depending on what your overall content finish ,ex. red Italianplum wine + Cinnamon extra + orange extra=spiced plum wine,,,,raspberry Shiraz=Shiraz as my primary with a raspberry wine infusion (f/PAC) after finish...or straight blackberry wine after adjustments and (f/PAC )of blackberry fruit concentrated as i do to boost and deepen flavor,...but you my learned friend know this and have tried them...............so excuse my verbiage if incorrect. have something very special to send you very soon ....i believe you,ll enjoy,,,,,,

Joeswine asked me to explain. F-PAC's

<TABLE style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 align=center ="tableBorder"><T><T><T>
<T>
<TR ="postSeparatorTableRow">
<TD colSpan=2></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top rowSpan=4 ="msgableSide"><A name=99131></A>joeswine
Winemaster Member
4_star_rating.gif

Online Status: Offline
</TD>
<TD vAlign=top ="msgableRow"> Posted: Today at 7:09am</TD></TR>
<TR ="msgableRow">
<TD vAlign=top height=150 ="msgLineDevider">
<DIV style="OVERFLOW: auto" ="msg">
TEPE tell the people how F/pacs /extracts and simple syrup came about remember in Jan?

</TD></TR>
<TR ="msgableRow">
<TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" ="msgLineDevider">
<DIV style="OVERFLOW: auto" ="msgSignature">new jersey </TD></TR></T></T></T></T></TABLE>
It started when I was making Strawberry wine.
1st batch I used added the strawberry flavor from LHBS = Still not good
2nd batch did same and added simple syrup = much better but no real flavor.
Then on a cold January night a couple of years ago I was in Joeswine's "winery"
smiley36.gif

Here we discussed F-PAC's
Here is what we did that night.
This was a 6 gallon batch of strawberry wine. This was 4-5 months aging already.
Got 5# strawberries
Slowly heated them in a large frying pan to get the water out. added some simple syrup to intensify the flavor.
This can take a while as you can only put so many #'s in a pan at once.
After heating we then sent the "pulp" thru a strainer to keep as much seeds and or skins (blueberry) out kinda like "pressing"
Continue till done.
Now add the strained F-PAC to the 6 gallons..mix this in a bucket. Then start adding simple syrup.
You ask how much? + "TO YOUR TASTE"
If you need more flavor then get more berries.
Mix well and ADD more sorbate just in case. let it sit . Later you may need to rack a few times or add clairifier or get it cold.
DONE.
You may want to filter if you cant get all the floaties out. You can do this for all fruit wines. I have done it for Strawberry, Bluebery and Peach wines. As stated before we have had many club members win awards Including Joeswine for his Plum and Rasapberry.
Extracts will explain later unless someone else in this group will explain.

I want to thank you all for your good replies. On my next batch of wine , I will try to make up an f-pak.

No problem that's why we are here. ENJOY your new hobby
smiley32.gif

I wonder if I can make an F-pack with choke cherries. I've got a lot of them in the freezer.

SURE!
smiley20.gif

I don't know what they taste like but try it using my previous post on f-pac's.

Hannabarn, my experience with chokecherries is you will not need any more flavor. They make great jelly but be careful with them and wine. We have made three different batches of chokecherry and the lightest one is at least 10 years from drinkable. They be powerful little rascals.
smiley24.gif

I'm really sorry to hear that you haven't had luck with your choke cherry wines.
smiley19.gif
It's one of my favorites and we've had some good luck there.

Latest posts

Back