Sunlight damage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobp

Reaction score
Do you worry about ambient sunlight through windows affecting your wine?

I have read some information that indicates it can affect flavor, as well as the obvious clarity issues...

I had my wife buy me some pillow cases from wally world... 2- black standard size in a pack for 2.50....(she grabbed 3 packs)

I popped out the threads in the middle of the sewed end so it would fit over the airlock... so the airlock would remain visible... but now i am questioning the light going down the airlock???

Do you think it will be sufficient to cover my secondary's with the pillow case's? The room they are in is a spare bed room we don't ever use, our windows have a UV barrier, and there are blinds and curtains on the one in this room.

If the wine is not in direct contact with the sunlight you will be alright. I have seen folks use paper bags, cut a hole in the bottom and slide the neck through it.

There's light everywhere. Just keep it out of direct sunlight. Around here all the liquor stores have a wall of glass with the sun coming in.

Sun rays can warm your wine daily and create expansion in the wine putting wine in your airlock. Consistant exposure can cause bacterial growth over time dispote it being sulfited. Bottles exposed to direct light can blow corks.

Some indirect light is okay but some folks dress up their carboys just for s. and giggles.

Some indirect light is okay but some folks dress up their carboys just for s. and giggles.

Thats what I have done.
SCARED da hubby 1/2 to DEATH one morning he came scooting down
in his underware for coffee and thought he saw
TWO STRANGERS SITTING AT DA COUNTER.
{all I heard was Him Hollering ""WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT DO YOU WANT?""}
it was pretty funny

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back