Summertime Dreaming

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I for one would love to see you start your own thread posting your photographs. We all love to see pictures and your's are very professional.

I for one would love to see you start your own thread posting your photographs. We all love to see pictures and your's are very professional.

Yikes Dan, I sure appreciate your comments. I could use this thread to post a photo now and then.

I blend my love for gardening with my photograpy experience. Here are a few shots that I took earlier this year.

July 20-2011-100-1.jpg

March 18-2011-494-1.jpg

may 21-2011-35-1.jpg

just beautiful pictures....capturing the essence of warmer and more fair weather...

WOW. That butterfly is amazing!! Just awesome, all of them!:try

If anyone thinks they don't want to see Paul's pictures here on his on thread let me know and I'll just ban him. LOL:)

Paul...since you are very informed on photography, i would like to ask a question of you...if you knwo great..if not , no big deal.....i would like to take a photo of something fairly close up but have the entire background blurred...is this done w the camera ( if so how?), or is it down w some photo program on the computer afterwards? if so, how?

thanks if you know, thanks if you dont

Paul...since you are very informed on photography, i would like to ask a question of you...if you knwo great..if not , no big deal.....i would like to take a photo of something fairly close up but have the entire background blurred...is this done w the camera ( if so how?), or is it down w some photo program on the computer afterwards? if so, how?

thanks if you know, thanks if you dont

Al,

Your question is a simple one. Let's use the butterfly picture as an expample. Set your F setting to a low number, say about 3-4. Focus on the subject in question (like a butterfly or flower). Then take your shot. You'll find the background blurred. Conversly, if you want to take a long distance picture of a far off mountain, you would use a higher F number, say 7 or higher. By using a higher F setting, subjects closer and further off will both be in focus. In general that's the tactic.

Thank goodness for digital cameras. It's not uncommon for me to take 50 or 60 pictures in one day. I'll often take 3-5 pics of the same subject, at different apperature settings. I never use auto camera settings. I encourage you to explore your camera at varying settings.

First set your ISO based on your lighting conditions.
Next, set your F setting.... is the subject close (use a low F) if the subject is far off, use a high F).
Third, set your apperature.... after setting your A, do a test shot. If it is too dark, increase your A setting. If your shot is too light (over exposed), reduce the A setting. I usually bracket the subject with several shots in an attempt to get the best lighting and subject detail.

I also use a descent photo editing program. I use Adobe Lightroom 3. There I can modify lighting, contrast, ect.

Like making good wine, taking descent pics comes with practice, and from an understanding of your tools and subject.

I hope this helps a bit.

July 10-2011-17-1.jpg

Paul I assume you are using a macro lens?

Dan, I have a Nikon P90. Though not an SLR with fancy lenses, it does have a built in 24X optical lens. It's great for landscapes and flowers, but falls short when taking bird photography.

This photo was taken at the Elkin Creek Vineyard/Winery in August 2011.

Aug 21-2011-264-1-2.jpg

Back