Substitute for k-meta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddy

Reaction score
I just finished adding ascorbic acid to some apple wine that I am making. It prevents browning and acts as an antioxidant.
Now I am wondering, if ascorbic acid acts as an antioxidant, then would it be OK to substitute this for k-meta in other wines? Particularly if the wine has undergone a MLF since it now requires less sulfite.
I am not a big fan of sulfites and would like to stay away from them if at all possible.
Basically ascorbic acid is just vitamin C so it is something our bodies require anyways.

Although an Anitoxidant, Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C) does nothing as an Anti-microbial. You need the preservative properties of K-meta to ensure that no nasty "bugs" take up residance in your wine. Additionally, K-meta has a property of helping to "round out" wine. This is why it is a preferred additive.

My biggest concern, however, is figuring out exactly what the ascorbic acid going to do to you PH levels?

I only add the absorbic acid to fruits that are prone to browning, apples, peaches, etc..

You still need the k-meta - as John stated - absobic acid will not fight off the bacteria.

I believe the browning will go away upon the addition of sulfite. Sulfite does more than you realize. You can't just substitute something else for it unless you fully understand what it does.

Thanks for all the good input.
This is by far the best wine forum on the net.

Thank you. There are many folks on here with loads of information willing to help freely. All you need to do is ask.

There is so much info. available on here it's best to search first for your answer then if not found, post your question. It's best to supply as much information about your situation as possible to aide our ability to answer.

Particularly if the wine has undergone a MLF since it now requires less sulfite.

Why do you say this? Going through mlf does not change the need for sulfites to help prevent renewed fermentation. In fact after mlf is complete, you raise the levels up to help protect it from other bacteria. You need to keep sulfite levels down so that the malolactic bacteria can do their job, not after it has completed.

Latest posts

Back