Strwaberry wine update

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CARBOY

Reaction score
So now that I've picked 100 lbs of strawberries I seem to be having some difficulty deciding which yeast to use. I was planning on two 5gl batches with different yeast and recipe for each. But, I need to save 40 lbs of berries for jam. This is my first fruit wine. I don't really want to cut back from 10 lbs /gal but I'm open for suggestions on what others would do with 60 lbs of fruit and yeast selection. Here's what yeasts I have on hand to pick from:
1. Lalvin ICV D-47 or EC-1118
2. Redstar Cotes des Blancs or Pasture Champagne (these two I use with my white wines)
3. Vinters Harvest CY17, MA33 or SN9

I ended up using the entire 100#'s of berries which ended up being 72#'s after tops removed and culling and also went picking for more to end up with a total usable fruit of 250#'s. I also decided on four different 5gal batches at 12.5#'s/gl. Same basic recipe except for the yeast selections and planned F-pac & backsweeting (which is were I am at now). A portion of my log below:

Fermintations started 28 May after 2 days of stable SG.
Batch 1: Starting SG = 1.070, red star pasteur champagne
Batch 2: Starting SG = 1.086, red star cotes des blancs
Batch 3: Starting SG = 1.080, vinters harvest MA33
Batch 4: Starting SG = 1.050, vinters harvest CY17

Racked to secondary glass on 6 June.
Batch 1: Finish SG = 0.996, acid = .7%
Batch 2: Finish SG = 0.996, acid = .5%
Batch 3: Finish SG = 0.998, acid = .6%
Batch 4: Finish SG = 1.000, acid = .6%

Second racking yesterday 9 July.
Batch 1: SG = 0.994, acid = .8%, temp = 73F, ph = 3.2
Batch 2: SG = 0.996, acid = .7%, temp = 73F, ph = 3.2
Batch 3: SG = 0.998, acid = .7%, temp = 75F, ph = 3.2
Batch 4: SG = 1.000, acid = .7%, temp = 73F, ph = 3.2

Flavor and smell is OK, should get better after F-pac. Sweetness is not where I want it but I intend on using the following formula I found for bench testing to determine amount of flavor and sweetener to use.

These conversions are all based on the number of drops in 50 ml samples.
drops added to sample x 1.5 = ml per 750 ml bottle
drops added to sample x 2 = ml per litre
drops added to sample x 9 = ml per gallon
drops added to sample x 45 = ml per 5 gallons

I also plan on sweetening one batch w/ honey per Luc's info:
"10% more honey as you would add sugar".

I did not include the additions of sulphite, sorbate, K-meta, tannin, acid blend, enzyme or nutrients. But I have the dates and dosages.

I would really like some feedback on what I have so far.

Nice test on different yeasts. Kep us posted on how each one tastes.
12.5# per gal seams high but you should have good body and flavor.

Wow, now that's a lot of berry picking.
I just bottled a 3 gallon batch of strawberry about a month ago, and until yesterday I had never heard of an f-pack so I tried something a little out of the ordinary. Once I had racked the second time, I added to the 3 gallon batch, 3 pints of strawberry daquairi concentrate since I was out of berries. I was really impressed with the taste and the wife and I both love it. I let it sit for about a month after I added the mix and it cleared wonderfully. I just added the pot sorbate and 3 crushed campdens, backsweetened to taste and bottled. It's going fast!!!
Just a thought that some of you may want to try....

James,
The olde F pack! Bet it turns out great. Let us know.

Robie,
As I said, it turned out great. It was a little flat when I tasted after a couple of rackings but 1 pint of the daquari mix per gallon of wine was just what the Dr. ordered. If it wasn't too late to get more strawberries around here, I would make a 5 gallon batch with the exact same recipe. I am going to start a 3 gallon batch of crimson sweet watermelon this weekend and if it lacks in flavor after racking a time or 2, I may add the same mix to it.

Interesting!! I have been wondering about substitute F-pacs. I had read about daiquiri mix and even flavor extracts used in flavoring beer. I just wasn't ready to take that leap with these batches. The strawberry extract flavor I had seen was a 4oz bottle good for 5gal of beer or wine. I'll keep note of your daiquiri ratio and I will try it in the future. I'll have to try some bench trials. I'm not real familiar with the different mixes of daiquiri, but I do like a frozen strawberry daiquiri...are there strawberry/kiwi daquairi mix. Or how about strawberry/banana daiquiri mix??? Time to google. Oh yea, as for that being a lot of berries to pick, clean and freeze....absoulutely. And I'm still feeling the pain of it all. Thank goodness grapes can be grown on a trellis.

There are a lot of entries on this forum about making F packs. I think Tom and Julie are experienced at making their own; several others for sure.

Experiment! That can make fruit wine making a lot of fun.

Interesting!! I have been wondering about substitute F-pacs. I had read about daiquiri mix and even flavor extracts used in flavoring beer. I just wasn't ready to take that leap with these batches. The strawberry extract flavor I had seen was a 4oz bottle good for 5gal of beer or wine. I'll keep note of your daiquiri ratio and I will try it in the future. I'll have to try some bench trials. I'm not real familiar with the different mixes of daiquiri, but I do like a frozen strawberry daiquiri...are there strawberry/kiwi daquairi mix. Or how about strawberry/banana daiquiri mix??? Time to google. Oh yea, as for that being a lot of berries to pick, clean and freeze....absoulutely. And I'm still feeling the pain of it all. Thank goodness grapes can be grown on a trellis.

Tell you what. Try the flavorings you see that is "pumped" into coffee. You know the ones like @ 7-11.
If you have a Sams Club they sell them. they come in sugar free as well. I have a restaurant Supply Store nearby and they have a huge selection.

My inner voice reminds me of one reason I started making wine", good or bad....so I can say "I made it from fresh fruit. Maybe the artificial flavorings deserve future thought, but for now...........on the back burner.

Back