Strawberry Zinandel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigham

Reaction score
WhenI purchased a couple or carboys for myself from the local buy sell n trade I was given this Royal Signature Edition Strawberry Zinfandel. The number on the top pof the box is 60104. itr was still sealed and closed but she said it was a cpl of years old. First question I have is , AmI too late to make this wine or is it too old? The second question is it tells me in the directions under step three to make sure fermentation is complete siphon eot a clean carboy avoid the sediment, then add the metabisulfite and the the potassium sorbate then take the two bags (2 x 500ml) of fruit flavor and empty into the carboy and stir vigorusly. Well as u can see in the picture there isnt two bags or 500ml friut flavoring there is one larger size lol. As this is my first ever kit do they often do that or am i missing a silver bag?
thanks for your help and here are the pics to show u whatI received!
20070524_164741_100_5352_Small.JPG

20070524_164907_100_5349_Small.JPG

20070524_165101_100_5350_Small.JPG

oops continue pics
20070524_165227_100_5351_Small.JPG

hard to see but same number on the main cap as the box as you can see in the two pictures agi the silver bag I presume has the fruit fflavor in it but there was only one bag in the box and not two as teh vinification method or recipe called for
smiley17.gif
Edited by: Trigham

They probably changed theyre packaging or it is just a type-o. I bet
everything will be fine. Go for it. All wine kits I have ever seen had
only 1 finishing pack.

Thanks again Wade, one more question they say to use distilled or filtered water,I live in the city and the water has some chlorine in it . I guess I should buy a 5 gal jug of spring water should I, or will the tap water suffice.

I would try not to use city water. Id buy cheap bottled water if I were
you. I have a well and it tastes good and I had it tested last year and
when I moved in 6 years ago and its pretty good. Its also not good to
use a water softner system for making wine also.

Trig I believe I would see if I could get hold of the mfg of the kit and see what the shelf life on it was before I put too much effort and money into it. I would think 3 years might be a bit much. Just my 2 cents !!!

Trigham said:
Thanks again Wade, one more question they say to use distilled or filtered water,I live in the city and the water has some chlorine in it . I guess I should buy a 5 gal jug of spring water should I, or will the tap water suffice.

Unless your water is really nasty tasting don't worry about the chlorine since the sulfite in your kitinstantly neutralizes it and chloramines that are found in city water.The potassium or sodium in the bisulphite compound binds to the chlorine, producing potassium or sodium chloride--table salt--in quantities that are too small to detect.

I can attest to not using soft water (ruined my first batch). I'd also check the date on the yeast and get new yeast if it's too old. If you want to give the existing yeast a try, make a yeast starter to see if it takes off instead of just dumping it in and possibly not having it work. Good luck!

redwineleo said:
I can attest to not using soft water (ruined my first batch). I'd also check the date on the yeast and get new yeast if it's too old. If you want to give the existing yeast a try, make a yeast starter to see if it takes off instead of just dumping it in and possibly not having it work. Good luck!

Just curious as to how your soft water ruined your first batch.

Latest posts

Back